Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC I'm Building (Need Imput & Help)

Last response: in Systems
July 6, 2008 2:14:31 AM

hey, This is the first system I'm building and I was hopefully wondering if you guys can rate it out of 10, Give me imput on what I could upgrade to and recoomend games? I'd go for any type of game but I mainly play RTS and FPS

CASE: Antec 900
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula
CPU: Intel Q6600 W/ OCZ Vendetta 2 Cooling
RAM: OCZ REAPER 240PIN PC2-6400 HPC - 4Gig (Might upgrade to 8)
Graphics: ATI 4870 (Might cross fire it, I want a decent cooler that'd fit the cards though)
Power Supply: OCZ GameXstreme 850W (I havn't bought this yet)
Harddrives: x2 Barracuda SATA II 500 Gig (One will be a Slave drive, for games and maybe movies)
Dvd Drive: Pioneer 20x DVDRW - I want another one though, To go with that...Possibly a Blue Ray drive?
OS: Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM (Would it be wise to buy an OEM? My friend said It was buggy)

Keyboard: Razer Tarantula
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder
Mousepad: Maybe Razer eXactMat

I want a decent screen and speakers - I'll be using the sound card that came with the Asus Maximus and I think thats a 7.1

So theres my rig - Its not built yet but thats the spec, Tell me what you think and reccomend upgrades I guess!

So far I have the Motherboard, Case and Prosessor, Buying the RAM, Cooler and DVD Drive next week and then the graphics card and the rest the week after.

More about : gaming building imput

July 6, 2008 2:44:01 AM

I guess I don't but I great alot of graphics in my spare time and often have quite a few programs open..

And maybe I don't need 8 gig but Imight upgrade to it sometime heheh

What do you think of it so far?
Related resources
July 6, 2008 2:51:02 AM

Well its ok..

900 is going to be a tight fit with 2 4870s...

I don't like that RAM, it tends to have voltage troubles on some boards.
July 6, 2008 2:54:42 AM

I didn't say I'd get two, I might - Though I could upgrade to 4780 X2 When it comes out

and If you can reccomend any better ram that comes with cooling then go head man
July 6, 2008 3:08:00 AM

Ah cool, I'll deffonatly think about it but I'm swaying more towards the RAM I chose because I've looked hard to find a decent price for everything on my list, If it messed up I'll deffonatly use that RAM as a back up
July 6, 2008 11:13:10 AM

Can anyone else fully explain if OEMs are buggy or not? I know you can only install them on one system and its just the OS without the case but I want to make sure man
July 7, 2008 12:13:23 AM

Huh? Your question makes no sense man.
July 7, 2008 12:19:51 AM

OEM OS's man, Insted of buying Retail you can buy Oem's

My friend told me they're buggy
July 7, 2008 12:22:37 AM

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacturer.

It essentially means that the creator sells it to people like Dell, who then put it on their computers. As far as I know, Vista OEM is just Vista, but without the fancy package.

Though I don't know much...
July 7, 2008 12:24:22 AM

Your friend has no clue what he is talking about.

Buying the OS OEM (or System Builder 1pk as its called) is buying the same exact CD that comes in a retail package minus the box and manual which you don't need anyway.
July 7, 2008 12:57:16 AM

awesome, Thanks alot =]

Also, Something really n00bish but.

Would I need to set up the bios? I mean I know I might have to set it up to read my CD drive but do you think my motherboard would automaticly pick everything up or would I have to set it?
!