Rear Left is sounding from Rear Right and Vice-a-versa. Any solution?

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
OKay guys, Im sure there is a very simple solution here but I just cant find it.

I have a SB Fatality soundcard and I think I have wired it up correctly with the jacks. However, when I go to the THX Setup Console to test and run the 'speaker selection' check etc I have the front right and rear right 'ladies voice' sounding out of the front left and rear left speakers (or rather, my 5.1 headphones). The sub and centre are fine.

What am I doing wrong. I have swapped the jacks but to no avail. Is there a wa to 'swap' the speaker configuration. It's annoying because sounds that should be coming from the right hand side come from the left :pt1cable:

Please help me with this frustraing issue.

Thanks

mythor20

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Doesn't your 5.1 headphones only have a stereo connector? I think the built in "5.1" headphones hardware are messing up the channels. I would leave your speaker setup on stereo in creatives application.

For true 5.1 sound you need a reciever capable of doing this or a self-amplified speaker set. I think 5.1 on headphones is more of a gimmick.

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
LOL, I feel like a right doofus. I am not sitting backwards are wearing them the wrong way or upside down. Although I did try it. It doesn't work :D

My headphones have a miniamp?. They are great headphones and you can definitely tell front right sound and front left sound even from headphones! They have worked fine before nearly all the time and sound great. Heres a review link:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2005/08/23/Speed-Link-Medusa-5-1-Surround-Headset/p1

Anyway, they have 3 jacks (green, red and blue for front, back and centre/sub) and I have stuck them into the XFI soundcard correctly (I think).

Is there a way of checking because the colour coding of the soundcard is different...?

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
There is a way to swap the center with the sub and also a rear left and right option in the user interface. I'm at work so I don't remember where it is in the creative applications.

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hey taso, I was pretty sure there is an option for that too, but I cant find it in the Creative console. I'm wondering if I hit something there by accident. I'll keep searching for it but if you know where that function is, it would be appreciated if you could let me know (when you're back from work of course!)

cheers

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
This is how it is in my x-fi extreme music menus. Go to the thx setup console. Under the "speaker selection" tab, go to the right side under where the guy is sitting in the room and click on "assignment" Pink noise will sound from a speaker. Click on the speaker where the sound is coming from. when you select a speaker the sound will come from the next speaker till all have been selected, in your case left front, center, right front, right reat, left rear and subwoofer. I don't know what you would do for subwoofer??? The swapping speakers option must have been in my mind from my xonar card. Let me know if this helps.

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Yep - tried that. It just confirms that the left fron and left rear are comng out the right and vice versa.

Man I'm stumped here!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Try.... physically moving the right speaker to where the left speaker is, then move the left speaker to where the right speaker was.

Does that help, or are you now tangled up in speaker wires? :oops:

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
They're headphones, Grimmy and yes, someone has suggested I I turn them around! :ange:

I reckon the solution is so obvious I will publicly eat my 'phones when I fix it :pt1cable:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Oh.. headphones.

I did find this article on those particular headphones which describes the installation:

Speed-Link Medusa 5.1 Pro Gamer Edition

Can you link the exact sound card? (I know you mention SB Fatality)

That way everyone here knows that you have the jacks hooked up the right way. Other then that is prolly some other glitch going on.

twoshoes

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
OK it's fixed.

Have not got a clue what it was but unplugging everything and plugging back in and reinstalling drivers and software seems to have done the trick.

lengthy but had to be done i guess.

there you go - what a disappointing ending. lol.

thanks for your help guys.