Game Server Networking.....

Authareon

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Side Note 1 : When i try to post it comes up with different language. So i have no clue what section i chose i kept it as is.

Side Note 2 : Game server being run will be Counter Strike Source.

Side Note 3 : PC is Duel Core AM2 with 4 gig memory with AMD 4850e 2.5ghz duel core. ( 1 16man pub, 100tic./ 1 10man private, 100tic ) or ( 1 16man 100tic switch between pub and scrim no mods )

Side Note 4 : I already know how to run the server. I've done so with my current gaming rig. I am buying a cheap pc to run source. Not much is needed so....

My question is all about the networking.

First off I currently have the mid range Comcast internet. I know the ToS says you cant run servers. But this server wont be up permantly, and game server dont exceed the 300gig bandwidth per month.

Second off I am going to buy Verizon FIOS as soon as its available (within 1 to 2 weeks time) and in which case I will have 50mb download and 20mb upload with no monthly bandwidth limit. (at least there is none that i found, but definitely could be)

Okay. So I currently have a D-Link gaming router setup with 4 pc's. Mine my brothers my dads and my moms. I want to add a server to my line. So I was thinking about getting a cheap net gear switch ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122005 ) and using that to switch between myself and my server on my personal line. Since the internet will be 50mb down and 20up i figured it could easily handle 4 computers, 3 run at the same time most often, only 2/4 play games. So how can i do this. go with what i was thinking? or do i need to know more?

Basically I don't want to buy a 8 Port Router b/c that would cost way to much for a decent one (first router to handle 4 computers without going up was dlink, all bought from best buy so no DOD) and i dont want to make everyone else run on a switch. So and idea's, best options, what have you would be greatful!. Thanks

ozarkamax

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
that would work fine, if you want to use the server to host files for the family it would be more efficient to hook all the computers to the switch, then link switch to router.