Reinstalling XP Pro

Tags:
  • Windows XP
August 24, 2005 2:17:28 AM

I have XP pro on a Computer now that seems to be giving me some trouble.
I want to reinstall XP over and clean everything out. Now I want to
keep the things in "My Documents" folder and "My Music".

I was thinking of Partitioning the exsisting drive and backup
everything to that Partition and reinstall XP on the old one after
deleting and formating it.

_SO_CAN_I_DO_THAT?_

Second I have a Old gateway HD that I want to use. It has 20GB and I
want to try and erase everything on it and use it as a SLAVE drive and
Transfer the folder to that drive and reinstall XP on the master drive

_So_Can_I_do_that?[/_B]

HELP me DO this Please

--
Cliftonmw

More about : reinstalling pro

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:17:29 AM

Option B would be easier
All you'd need to do is hook it up,format the files that are on it out of
existance and your ready to go.
Use NTbackup program to back up what you wish to safe to the 20g
drive....like settings as well as MyDocuments and My music folders.
Then start the Comp with the XP disc in place and do a new installation
formatting during that installation.
Make sure you pick the right drive......HD-0
good luck
peterk

"Cliftonmw" <Cliftonmw.1u8qdm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have XP pro on a Computer now that seems to be giving me some trouble.
> I want to reinstall XP over and clean everything out. Now I want to
> keep the things in "My Documents" folder and "My Music".
>
> I was thinking of Partitioning the exsisting drive and backup
> everything to that Partition and reinstall XP on the old one after
> deleting and formating it.
>
> _SO_CAN_I_DO_THAT?_
>
> Second I have a Old gateway HD that I want to use. It has 20GB and I
> want to try and erase everything on it and use it as a SLAVE drive and
> Transfer the folder to that drive and reinstall XP on the master drive
>

> _So_Can_I_do_that?[/_B]
>
> HELP me DO this Please
>

> --
> Cliftonmw
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:10:50 AM

Unclear - is it XP giving the trouble, or the pc?

taking BOTH elements of this post - seems pointless giving two different

With a similar problem, I added the 2nd hdd as slave, formatted it FAT32
(not NTFS - if everything goes pearshaped, you can address the FAT32 disk
via a DOS boot disk to retrieve data - but not if it's NTFS)

THEN - back-up whatever you need from C: to slave
THEN - (overkill, perhaps) COPY the data files to slave disk and/or CD's)

THEN - delete all data folders on C:. Run all housekeeping utilities,
then either - a "repair" install on C:, or a totally fresh installation -
if you choose a totally fresh installation, forget the housekeeping, your
disk will be reformatted (totally erased) anyway.
Hopefully you have made a slipdisk, merging XP and SP2 - use this to
repair/istall. If not, you have added 4 hours+ to the job (and there's
several later substantial updates after SP2)
Good Luck! and also ensure you have current drivers for all your kit, these
will also need re-installation

I would have suggested the logical thing, which is install XP on the Gateway
hdd (making it "master") but as it's only 20 Gb, that's asking for trouble.
Disk is too small for effective long-term use (yes it would work,
short-term, but very soon be filled, giving further probs later).

This solution should solve your problem IF it's XP that's at fault - but not
if the root problem is the pc itself (and the posed question is unclear on
that).

Hope this helps.
Silvabod
"Cliftonmw" <Cliftonmw.1u8qdm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I have XP pro on a Computer now that seems to be giving me some trouble.
> I want to reinstall XP over and clean everything out. Now I want to
> keep the things in "My Documents" folder and "My Music".
>
> I was thinking of Partitioning the exsisting drive and backup
> everything to that Partition and reinstall XP on the old one after
> deleting and formating it.
>
> _SO_CAN_I_DO_THAT?_
>
> Second I have a Old gateway HD that I want to use. It has 20GB and I
> want to try and erase everything on it and use it as a SLAVE drive and
> Transfer the folder to that drive and reinstall XP on the master drive
>

> _So_Can_I_do_that?[/_B]
>
> HELP me DO this Please
>

> --
> Cliftonmw
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:00:55 AM

Cliftonmw Wrote:
> I have XP pro on a Computer now that seems to be giving me some trouble.
> I want to reinstall XP over and clean everything out. Now I want to
> keep the things in "My Documents" folder and "My Music".
>
> I was thinking of Partitioning the exsisting drive and backup
> everything to that Partition and reinstall XP on the old one after
> deleting and formating it.
>
> _SO_CAN_I_DO_THAT?_
>
> Second I have a Old gateway HD that I want to use. It has 20GB and I
> want to try and erase everything on it and use it as a SLAVE drive and
> Transfer the folder to that drive and reinstall XP on the master drive
>

> _So_Can_I_do_that?[/_B]
>
> HELP me DO this Please

Hello Clifton

To make things easier for you, why don't you just burn the data that
you need onto a CD or use an external hard drive. To actually partition
your drive, you would need a third party software like Partition Magic
to work. Honestly, save the money and buy an external hard drive or
just simply burn it on a CD.

Yes you can probably still the old Gateway HD if everything is
compatible.
http://tinyurl.com/7vyob
If you want to transfer your settings and programs from your first
drive to your second drive, you can probably use Files and Settings
Transfer included with XP.
http://tinyurl.com/2or8z
To erase the drive, you can use Fdisk to format the drive to make it
usable.

--
Evolution54
!