Geforce 9800 Gx2 possible problem

I just bought a Geforece 9800 GX2. I am not sure if It is running at its full potential. I have windows vista ultimate edition and it scored a 5.9 on the performance section in Vista. Also, it doesnt seem like it runs Crysis like how it should be. My friend has a 8800 GT and it seems like they both run about the same, and my system specs are better than my friends are. My card is plugged in right, im using an 8 pin and the 6 pin connector and it has the green LED lights on the card. Maybe it is just a Crysis issue, but the rest of my games, BF2, WoW and HL2 all run fine, but like I said, I dont know if they should be running better with this card.
23 answers Last reply
More about geforce 9800 problem
  1. Post your system specs and drivers, or nobody can help you. Also, what is your resolution, your friends' ?
  2. I wouldn't put any faith in Vista's performance index. 5.9 is the highest you can get... that's their scale... 0 to 5.9! Idiots. Anyway, make sure SLI is enabled in the nvidia control panel.
  3. I went to the control panel and it was set to multi GPU, is there anything else that should be set in the control panel? or even the bios?
  4. could you post the sys specs, drivers, and res?
  5. ASUS mobo
    intel Q9450
    8 gigs DDR2 PC2 1066
    500 gig hard drive

1280X1024 res

forceware 175.19 drivers

my friends res is also 1280X1024. Yea low for both of us, but I havnt bought a new moniter yet.
  6. at that res i wouldn't be surprised by your performance.
    8 gigs DDR2 1066, a Q9450, and a 9800GX2 for 1280x1024?
    seems like an overkill.
  7. sabot00 said:
    at that res i wouldn't be surprised by your performance.
    8 gigs DDR2 1066, a Q9450, and a 9800GX2 for 1280x1024?
    seems like an overkill.

Not for crysis :D

I have a simmilar system, and can only get 50+ FPS at the beggining levels of the game at very high settings. 30-45 is more reasonable later on.
  8. nah, not overkill, my last comp died, so no point in getting stuff ill need to upgrade very soon. Im not getting 50 fps, i know that. If I put it at very high settings, it lags like crazy, not even at all playable. One weird thing also, if I connect my moniter to the top vga connector, nothing will show up on my screen, it only works on the other VGA connector, since this is a dual GPU card, could that mean one of the gpu's isnt workng correctly?
  9. the top VGA connector is used only when You enable dual display.

Run a game such as COD4, Half life 2 or Grid, and tell us what frames you get:D.

IF your basisig your results on Crysis, DON'T That game is a Wonder of the world:)
  10. If you are getting the same results as your friend's single 8800 GT - this could be caused by using an unpatched Crysis, update to the latest version.

The stock version of Crysis doesn't correctly support dual gpus - patching has addressed this to a greater degree. Given that the 9800 GX2 counts as a dual gpu, it should see a roughly 50-60% performance increase over an 8800 GT using the latest version of Crysis

If you are using the latest version of Crysis, and you still find that your performance seems "mediocre" at 1280*1024, compared to the 8800 GT - then turn on 2xAA or 4xAA as this should give you a distinct advantage over a single 8800 GT at that resolution by all rights.
  11. HL2 runs anywere from 150-300 fps depends on were I am, the times it hits 300 is either in a room or a hallway or looking outside from a window. 150 is normal running around. BF2 is about 100 fps. I also changed the res to 1600x1200 for both games. Max settings on both also
  12. I am suprise none of you guys dont know whats happening with csflame4. I am sure that his motherboard is not detecting the PCI xpress switch for his Geforce 9800gx2. This same mechanism was applied in Geforce 7950gx2. Problem is that if your motherboard doesn't detect the switch the card doesnt work to it's full potential, only around it's half, the data flow between the card is reduced to half the speed. Dont know the full details of it, thats all I can tell you.

I suggest you do a motherboad bios update and it could fix this issue. If doesn't then contact the manufacturers to update the bios so it makes your Geforce 9800gx2 compatible. If they dont then I can suggest for you to buy a new motherboard and make sure the card works properly. This happened to me with my Geforce 7950gx2 until I got a new motherboard which made my card work to it's potential.
  13. Ok ill update the bios, my motherboard is pretty new. Asus rampage formula X48 mobo
  14. We're not technical support advisors for Nvidia, so unless we owned the card there is no way we'd run into that issue.

"Google"-ing 7950gx2 motherboard compatibility turns up quite a bit of information, but googling 9800gx2 motherboard compatibility turns up very little pertinent information - so if you are convinced this card suffers from this issue, then could you please link the knowledge base article which refers to the 9800gx2 specifically for the OP so that he can check compatibility.

OP; So, what motherboard then?
  15. csflame4 said:
    Ok ill update the bios, my motherboard is pretty new. Asus rampage formula X48 mobo

Okay, couldn't hurt to update but i'd be very suprised if that was the issue given that is a 2 month old motherboard.. anyways let us know.
  16. csflame4 said:
    HL2 runs anywere from 150-300 fps depends on were I am, the times it hits 300 is either in a room or a hallway or looking outside from a window. 150 is normal running around. BF2 is about 100 fps. I also changed the res to 1600x1200 for both games. Max settings on both also

That seems about right:) do you have results on current Gen games?
  17. no info from crysis yet, I uninstalled the game. I plan on reinstalling it today with the latest 1.2 patch
  18. let us know:D
  19. updated my Bios, I dont know if there is a setting in there that I need to set so that my mobo reads the dual GPU's. Ran crysis at 1280x1024 with high settings at about 40-50 fps no AA. Set AA to 8x with same res, game becomes not playable, drops to less than 10 fps if I look around.
  20. yea, try it at 2xAA or 4xAA

8xAA works on a principle of 4xAA*2 - its hard to explain but 8xAA is a pretty big performance hit compared to 4xAA vs 2xAA

You should be able to do 1280*1024*4xAA I would think with a 9800 GX2 - I used to run 8800 GT SLI at 1680*1050*2xAA, which is a comparable graphics array to the 9800 GX2, although the GX2 is a little better
  21. even at 4x it is hardly playable, I also have 3dmark vantage trial version results, not very good at all on the graphics card side

http://service.futuremark.com/home.action?resultId=255113&resultType=19
  22. yup, thats kinda low for a 9800 GX2 - but your 2.66 ghz processor will effect your vantage total score quite a bit.

Overclocking your processor is going to give your dual gpu more headroom; SLI, Crossfire, and dual-gpu cards tend to demand more processing power in order to shine.

Regardless, I can't imagine what the problem in your configuration is that is holding back Crysis so much, as i've played the game on a lesser gpu config than you at higher res with 2xAA same details and gotten very decent frame rates.

I'm out of ideas really, good luck.
  23. i think one of the gpus is bad. The card itself acts up. Its not stable. I think im going to just RMA the card and get another one and see how that one is.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Windows Vista Graphics