Sign in with
Your question

Can you recommend an SSD for me?

Last response: in Storage
November 9, 2009 2:43:28 AM

My main storage is a Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm, but im looking for something alot faster to install my OS on (Vista ultimate 64bit). I really have no preference when it comes to brand name, and im looking for speed, not quantity. By this i mean that if there is a 100GB ssd and a 40GB ssd for the same price, but the 40gb is faster, then i would go for the 40gb one.

Can anyone recommend me a very, very fast SSD with a max price of $200? (if its really worth it i might go higher).

More about : recommend ssd

a c 126 G Storage
November 9, 2009 7:21:28 AM

Intel X25-M 80GB G2, don't get any other.
a c 415 G Storage
November 9, 2009 3:14:07 PM

Agreed - the Intel drives have the best all-round performance and also support the TRIM command which helps to maintain that performance over the long term under Windows 7.
Related resources
November 9, 2009 10:28:20 PM

Yeah ive been looking at that one for a bit, heard good things about it- plus its not too expensive (compared to others).

But just out of curiosity, what is MTBF?
a b G Storage
November 9, 2009 11:31:33 PM

Mean time between failures. The rated value is often unrealistically high.
November 10, 2009 12:12:08 AM

Exactly what do they mean by failures?
a c 415 G Storage
November 10, 2009 4:09:52 AM

For MTBF, "failure" means the drive stops working, period.

MTBF is different than "reliability", which is usually measured as the number of read failures per bits read (typically 1 read failure per 10^14 or 10^15 bits read). The drive keeps working after a read failure, it's just that the data in that particular sector is toast. Read failures are not the kind of failures considered in the MTBF specifications.
November 11, 2009 2:40:15 PM

sub mesa said:
Intel X25-M 80GB G2, don't get any other.

intel has been having a lot of problems with their firmware lately.
November 11, 2009 3:10:19 PM

I have an Intel X25-M 80GB G2, and it is fantastic. I think the MTBF is something like 1.2 million hours.

As nebun said there have been some issues with the firmware update but I am still running mine with the standard firmware with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 installed and it runs great, super fast.

Intel will fix the firmware issues and once they do Win 7 will be able to send the trim commands to the SSD which will keep it running with "out of the box" performance.

If you don't have Win7, Intel will also release a SSD optimization tool that you can install and run which will keep the performance up.

I highly recommend the Intel X25-M 80GB G2
November 11, 2009 4:59:49 PM

I think ive made my decision for the Intel x25-m 80gb g2. Its the right size, price, and speed. Thanks for all your help :) 
November 12, 2009 4:18:52 AM

yannifb said:
Yeah ive been looking at that one for a bit, heard good things about it- plus its not too expensive (compared to others).

But just out of curiosity, what is MTBF?

Mean time between failures.
I just ordered my x25-m g2 after ordering from 4 different sites over the past week where initially I was told it was in stock and then they renegged. All of them (I wouldn't pay 312 for newegg just because they have a good handle on supply/demand. Anyway I ordered (successfully) from ZipZoomFly for 280 - 30 MIR yesterday. Then today the price changed to 260-$30 MIR so I emailed them to complain and ask for a refund of $20 as it hadn't even shipped out, without any real hope of success. Surprise, surprise, they gave me $20 credit towards my next purchase. Way to go ZZF
!