Samsung TX-R3080WH - no 720p - problem?

I'm thinking about getting the Samsung TX-R3080WH over the Sony
Widescreen FD Trinitron® WEGA® HDTVKD-30XS955 - both
flatscreen/widescreen CRT's with HD and comparable features. I think
the Sony's picture is slightly better than the Samsung, but the depth
of the cabinet (or less depth) of the Samsung has me sold.

My concern is that the Samsung does not process 720p as part of its HD
capability. It does process 1080i and 480i and 480p.

Does this mean that if the broadcast is in 720 I have no HD capability?
Is the contest settled between the two formats in the industry? Will
there be a 1080p eventually, making a set like this obsolete? Should I
insist on a set that has both 720 and 1080?

Thanks in advance,
LG
3 answers Last reply
More about samsung r3080wh 720p problem

    I owned the TX-R2678WH and have returned it to get the larger
    TX-R3075WH HDTV Samsung set. I can tell you that it does all of thoses
    aspects.
    480i/480p most of the analog air channels and standard definition
    digital channels are in this format, it also accepts Progressive scan
    DVD playback.
    720p most of the primetime FOX, UPN, and ABC shows that are in HD are
    in 720p, and they look stunning.
    1080i some of the primetime CBS, NBC shows are in this aspect they look
    nice too but in a different way.

    Since this set has a built in tuner the lack of 720P input capability
    wouldn't be a problem.
    Unfortunately there's no way to avoid a set going obsolete. There will
    ,however, never be a 1080P that is broadcast.

    "dj" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Since this set has a built in tuner the lack of 720P input capability
    > wouldn't be a problem.
    > Unfortunately there's no way to avoid a set going obsolete. There will
    > ,however, never be a 1080P that is broadcast.

    Uh, dj, you might want to do a little homework before making statements like
    that one. It is entirely possible that we could see 1080p broadcast at 24
    or 30 frames per second. Not likely that 1080p60 will ever be broadcast is
    likely what you meant to say.

    Leonard

HDTV CRT Monitors HD Samsung Home Theatre