Intel Core 2 Extreme vs AMD Opteron x4

i want to know what better the Intel Core 2 Extreme or AMD Opteron x4
anyone know the benchmarts on both i plan to build a new pc but im not sure what cup is best can anyone help
10 answers Last reply
More about intel core extreme opteron
  1. State your Budget and What you want to do with your system.
    Folks will help you put it together.

Asking about a single part in isolation does not work.
    You need to look at the whole system.
  2. well...opterons are server processors, not necessarily the best for a home pc considering their price as well as the motherboards and reg ecc ram you will likely need. The Core 2 Extreme are very fast processors, more suited for a desktop. If you can tell us what you want to use the pc for (gaming, video editing, etc) people will be able to give more advice.
  3. i want to know benchmarks because i plan opn 3 GUP nvida 9800 and ill take my 2 hdds i got in this computers 320 and 500 money not and option i just want a law suet im get 1.2mil and i want build the best pc i can.
  4. Well, you don't want 9800's then. Get an X48 chipset, a QX9770, and a pair of ATI 4870x2s. You will then have the best computer for about a month or two.
  5. ^Well in that case the best choice would be a QX9650. Core 2 Quad is currently about 5-10% better IPC clock per clock compared to AMDs current chips Phenom and does OC much better as well.

BTW you should go for 2 ATI Radeon HD4870X2s because they are better than the 9800 series and are going to be betetr for gaming in the end.

Or you could wait a few months and get one of Intels new Core i7 chips that will probably be a better choice for all around CPU.
  6. You should use your lawsuit money to learn to read and write. I doubt a person with a 2nd grade education posses the skills to assemble a pc.
  7. Since you got the money why not build 2 rigs? One OCed to the max with LN2(which will obviously kill the CPU,etc only used for bragging rights) and the other OCed to a very good level with a TEC(reguler gamin,every day work)?

Or better yet get a rig like this:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=250050&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

And just add a 4870X2.

Imo, you'd be better off spending $2k-3k and putting the rest in the bank or buy a high end car. Your rig will be "old" by middle of next year. And donating some money (to breast cancer research,etc wouldn't hurt either (hint: Tax break).
  8. Start with $1.2m

Less approx 41% for Federal and state income taxes: $780,000

Less the standard 33% of the original settlement ($396K) for your lawyer's contingency fees leaves you $384,000

So $384K at 8% from a nice, conservative money market gives you $30,720 a year. While the principal can't be taxed any more, since you paid it once already. You will still have to pay income tax on your earnings. So $18,432 a year to take home, or $1,536 a month.

So YES! - Buy yourself a computer! But you better not quit your day job.
  9. ^ ^+1. Investing in AMD stocks might be a good idea too :lol:
  10. or hell, take that $384k and buy yourself an old Cray. That'll get some good benchmarks and can probably net you some tax credits if you loan it to a university every now and then :p
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel Opteron AMD Product