Sep 26, 2008
So, I just built my computer

Intel X48c Motherboard
Q9550 Quad-core Processor
OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB dual channel) 1600mhz DDR3
MSI 9800GTX+ Nvidia
NZXT Apollo case (12mm fans)
Massive Tuniq heatsink

anyways, I built my computer but I had to leave for college the next day. My ram didn't arrive so I stuck my ddr2 ram (yeah my motherboard takes both), and used it.
Computer ran flawlessly for 2 weeks which is the time it took to re-direct my ram to my new location.

When I insert the ram... bam! My computer starts to tweak out and freeze when running windows.
I re-installed windows, after having it freeze on me like 20 times. Finally, once it didn't freeze for me past the log in screen I immediately ran mem-test.
After hours and hours, it didn't find anything. no errors. So I went into the bios and decided to under-clock my ram to see if it was that the mhz was too fast for my processor or something. My motherboard supports 1600mhz but I don't think my processor is that fast, so I underclocked my ram. For a day or two it ran fine. Then it froze, but not after like 9 hours of use. It seems like if I dont do anything, except use windows it lasts alot longer. Right now I am trying to run media player and its crashing within like 20-40minutes of booting up. I am at my wits end here, because I have tried every mhz from 800 to 1600 to 1333 to 1066(or 65) and have tried over and underclocking my processor and I just dont have any friggin clue as to what is causing my computer to be this way.

PLEASE, if you have any ideas I will try to comply to them to the best of my abilities. My CPU is running at about 39-40 and my system is around 50. Right now I have opened my case up to see if its a cooling problem, but it baffles me because when my computer was working for a day+ It had the case closed and running normally like it should of been. I even restarted twice to test it to make sure that tihs wasn't a fluke and it worked fine after boot up. Now here I am stuck with a computer that keeps freezing. It runs so flawlessly with DDR2 RAM, but why not with my ddr3?

I would just stick with ddr2 ram if it wasn't old and I only had like 1 gig of it (vista doesn't like just 1 gig).

Thank you for your time.

Mondoman

Splendid
Make sure you don't have both DDR2 and DDR3 installed at the same time. Also, OCZ RAM often has compatibility problems, so I'd contact their tech support. It could be something as simple as their RAM requiring a higher-than-standard memory voltage.

angelicxx

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Sorry im not a newbie!
I know better than to stick DDR2 and DDR3 at the same time.

If you think I should increase the voltage, please name something and I will change it in my bios.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You probably need to reset the cmos so the bios an detect the settings for the ddr3. Its probably still got the voltage and timings for the ddr2. So reset cmos and double check that the volts and timings are correct.

Definately dont mix ddr2 and ddr3.

angelicxx

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
you mean like, press the pin on my motherboard the defaults the bios?

because yeah I've already done that with just the ddr2 in place.

I think your on to something though because my DDR3 ram was detected with 6-6-6-15 timings, which is my ddr2 ram.
I have manually put them to 7-7-7-24 but I am not sure about the voltage. I have tried adjusting the voltage to 19 which I think is what is recommended, but then my computer wont start somethings. Like, I turn it on but not all things are on and the motherboard or bios screen doesn't even show. It just loads the "_" at the top right corner and that is the end of it and I have to keep restarting it.