Bios feature, screeching, fan not-detected

notguru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I just built my pc (specs below) but there's an error that says "cpu overheat" and a screeching noise goes off. Supposedly it's because the cpu stock fan isn't detected, but it can be recognized by going to the BIOS.

what exactly do i do in the BIOS to turn that option on.

someone also said that the PSU was making the screeching noise. i'm desperate for help. please help.

specs:

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower

Intel DG35EC Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Processor BX80571E7400

XFX GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Alpha Dog Edition, 512MB DDR3

LITE-On 18X DVD-ROM optical drive

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB Hard Drive

OCZ SLI 4096MB PC6400 DDR2

DiabloTek PHD650 650-Watt Power Supply

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I'm not totally familiar with your motherboard, but I'll try to help.
First of all the screeching noise is not the PSU. PSU is the power supply unit and it doesn't make any noises. The noise is probably coming from the system speaker. The noise is there to tell you if something is wrong. As you said there's an error that says "cpu overheat" That's why you hear the noise.
If a message like that appears and you hear a screeching noise then your CPU probably did overheat.

Did you look to see if the CPU fan was spinning? If not you probably didn't plug it in (maybe forgot)
If it is plugged in, check if you plugged it in to the right place (you might have plugged it in to the system fan pins or something)
Make sure you plugged it in to the CPU fan pins.
Also go into the bios and load the defaults. And update your bios (just in case you current bios has a bug)

Anyway, good luck...

notguru

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Okay, i discovered what it was--the refurbished 8800gt GPU
so unexpected...