thurst0n

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
I just received my QX6850 in the mail. It looks very sexy. I originally budgeted to get the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283. I am wondering if the stock CPU Heatsink/Fan will be enough to cool the QX6850 at stock speeds? I will eventually do overclocking and upgrade the fan/heatsink, I'd like to save some money right now if I can. Anyone know. IT looks pretty beefy and looks like it will do the job but I really dont have much experience. i dont have my other parts yet so I can't really see if it is working otherwise I would simply try it. But do you guys think I can save some $$ initially with my build?

thurst0n

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Thanks, I will look into a back plate if I stick with stock HSF.
Yes I bought a "boxed" version, it is brand new and actually Directly from Intel

So again. Will the cooling of the Stock HSF suffice?

thomason

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
So, your question is whether the stock intel hsf that intel included with the intel cpu that you bought directly from intel is adequate to cool the cpu under normal operating conditions and stock speeds?

The answer is no.

Think about it, intel can either

1. Include an adequate fan with their $1000+ cpu
2. Include the same fan they use for the celerons

Option 2 guarantees them a repeat sale when your cpu dies next month from the heat, AND saves them about $4.49.

thurst0n

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
Wonderingwhatis- Yes :-D I will probably write a review on each component I get, and on my system as a whole when I get everything and it's all running. So if you're curious about the CPU i'll let you know.

Thomason- I really hope it's not the same as what's packed with the celeron.. I could take a picture maybe someone would know. It looks pretty beefy as I said. But then again I can't say until i see if it actually WORKS. I think it would take more than a month for my CPU to die at stock speeds, with active cooling in place, and even then I would have to neglect to check temps, and even then I still think it would take at least a year. my P4@3.0 is still doing great, and I sometimes "forget" to shut down my PC for a few weeks..lol

IIDarkII

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hey Thurst0n and Wonderingwhatis,
I also purchased with the cpu from intel via retailedge.... Anyways, from the research i have done, i looks like the qx6850 still runs hot during load w/o overclocking. I've seen many people saying around 85*C when under a load.

BTW, when i opened the box and saw the heatsink and fan i was like woah, like 2x the size of the Heatsink than for my E6400

I dont think Thomas has seen the heatsink included with the qx6850, but still yes you would most likely benefit from getting an upgraded cpu cooler since quads tend to run a bit hotter, if your not going to OC then i would recommend the Zalman 9700, I have that in my current build and have it overclocked 1.2ghz higher than stock and its running at 30*C but then again its a dual core not quad.... so i dunno if it performs the same.

Oh yeah, If you dont mind me asking What is ur Build specs. I have been doing a **** load of research trying to find a motherboard that will allow me to OC this beast to ~3.6ghz maybe more if cooling allows.

Parts im currently looking at are the
Motherboards:: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R(there are some issues with this board check reviews for more info), Foxconn P45A-S,

****oh BTW stay away from the Striker Extreme, or I should put it more accurately, the Nvidia 680i chipset. ****
****Nvidia chipsets are notoriously known for their lack of ability to overclock Intel's quad cores, especially so with the 6-series chipset. ****

Graphics Card: ATI 4870 (if i win the lotto the 4870x2 lol)
RAM: 4gb ocz

Anyways, I hope that helps and thanks if you know of any good mobos