P5Q Pro wont let any overclocking at all

bxsciencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Motherboard: P5Q Pro
Processor: Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHz going at 1.6
RAM: OCZ Gold DDR2 800 2 sticks 4 gb
OS: XP SP3 (cant help it. I couldnt find a SP2 disc + key)

I only upped the CPU frequency from 266 to 270/272 and the ratio from 7 to 9, which worked a few months ago. now it refuses to work at all. the bios keeps telling me that overclocking failed.

any ideas why and how to fix this?
and suggestions on good overclocking values after my mb is fixed?

Solution
Again you really need to get a good cooler if you're running on stock and trying to overclock.
Also check if the air circulation is good inside your case. Make sure your computer is not standing in an isolated environment like inside a desk in the corner of the room where it can't get good air flow.

Ok, this is how you update the bios, you actually have two ways:

First Way:
You don't need flash drives with boot files.
1. Download the update file from the Asus web site.
2. Save it to your flash drive (and make sure it has nothing else on it so there is no confusion and minimal risk when updating)
3. Go into the Asus EZ Flash 2, this can be done by going into the bios and finding it there.
4. There will be...

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Try resetting everything to the default settings and updating the bios. Then try overclocking again. Start low and slowly go up. Do you have a good cooler? If you're running on a stock cooler you should get a nice aftermarket cooler.

bxsciencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
i have reset the bios many times. i get about a day's worth of overclocking before it crashes. before i reformatted my computer, it used to last for months, with maybe a hitch here and there, but nothing that would stop me from overclocking at the same settings im trying to get to.

i should get a better cooler, but there's no good computer store in my neighborhood, and id rather not by from online, since im never around to getting the packages, and there's no one/place else to leave it with/at

and... err... how do you you update the bios? none of my flashdrives have boot files in them and i dont have any floppys laying around

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Again you really need to get a good cooler if you're running on stock and trying to overclock.
Also check if the air circulation is good inside your case. Make sure your computer is not standing in an isolated environment like inside a desk in the corner of the room where it can't get good air flow.

Ok, this is how you update the bios, you actually have two ways:

First Way:
You don't need flash drives with boot files.
1. Download the update file from the Asus web site.
2. Save it to your flash drive (and make sure it has nothing else on it so there is no confusion and minimal risk when updating)
3. Go into the Asus EZ Flash 2, this can be done by going into the bios and finding it there.
4. There will be instructions on the screen. But this is what you do once you're in EZ Flash: select the drive the bios update file is saved to, find and select the bios update file, the bios will check the update file to see if it's valid and not corrupted. If the file is ok, it will proceed with updating.
5. IMPORTANT: I'm sure you know, but don't turn off or reset system when updating.
6. If everything goes right, then your bios should be updated.

Second Way: (I prefer this way)
Your motherboard should have come with a disk, The disk contains drivers and other software including something called ASUS Update.
1. Install Asus Update (If you haven't already)
1. Open the Asus Update Utility.
2. Select Update BIOS from the internet option from the drop-down menu, then click Next.
3. Select the ASUS FTP site nearest you to avoid network traffic, or click Auto Select. Click Next.
4. From the FTP site, select the BIOS version that you want to download. Click Next.
5. Follow the screen instructions to complete the update process.
OR
1. Download the update file from the Asus site.
2. Open the Asus Update Utility.
3. Select Update BIOS from a file option from the drop-down menu, then click Next.
4. locate the BIOS file from the Open window,then click Open.
5. Follow the screen instructions to complete the update process.
3. If everything goes right, then your bios should be updated.

Tip: If you're updating in windows from the Asus Update utility, dont press any keys or move the mouse during the update.

Solution

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
If you can change the fan speed for the CPU in your bios, Change it to the fastest speed.
Also, open your computer and check if it's dusty inside (Dust keeps heat well). If it is, carefully clean it out with compressed air or something. You can also use a slightly damp cloth, but be careful.

Another important thing: If you are planning to update the bios, set your CPU to stock speed so it doesn't crash during the update.

Anyway, good luck!

bxsciencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
help! now, after upgrading the bios to the newest one, the computer's even crazier. Expressgate is very glitchy and the BIOS says "overclocking failed" even though everything is at default (except boot sequence)

help!!!!!!!!!

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Idk, your motherboard is screwed up... :(

You can try downloading the original bios version from the site and reflashing it...maybe that will help :??:

I wish I could help...anyway please send more detailed info.

bxsciencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
err... how do you do screen shots in bios? i dont think i have a working camera at home.

i dont know what i can tell you. everything is at default. the overclocker is left at "auto" rather than "manual". the temps are at 30-40C, from what CoreTemp says

anyways, i flashed the old bios file that i saved back into the bios, and now its alright, although im not overclocking yet. i guess i'll let it run for a few days before doing anything

videl

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I guess you would have to take a picture of the bios, but oh well...not too important anyway...
That's good that the motherboard works with the original bios... :)...It could have been worse.
I think you have overclock failures because the computer (CPU mostly) is getting hot and starts to run unstable. Have you checked the temps when you're overclocked? How many Mhz are you trying to add with the overclock? Heat or hot temps are your enemies when overclocking...If heat is your problem, then getting a good cooler would be the best solution.

bxsciencer

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
the temps are about 50C when overclocked. the overclocking was only changing the speed from 1.6 ghz to about 1.65 ghz, which is why i dont see the problem with my overclocking. what i really wanted to do was bring it up to 3 ghz or so, since other people can do it on stock coolers