Startup Problems

OK, so I got a new motherboard for an old system today. I put it in, and started up, and all was excellent for 10 mins while I was installing new drivers. However, at this point it crashed without blue screen. Now when I turn it on, it just shows the windows xp loading bar, then it restarts or shuts down. I tried putting the old motherboard back in, same problem. I tried a windows xp install from another hard drive, same problem. I tried changing the memory, same problem. Some of the times, when I turn the computer on, it just instantly (1-3 seconds) shuts down. I have no clue what was going on.

Info:
Old Mobo: Biostar G31-M7 TE
New Mobo: Asus P5QL-VM DO
Memory : Crutial or Crutial's Rendition, all 1GB
HDD 1+2 : 500 GB WD Green
HDD 3 : 500 GB Segate Barracuda 7200.11
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz

I hope I posted this in the right area, all comments appreciated, especially the ones that help me solve this.
Thanks
-Martin a.k.a no_one11
8 answers Last reply
More about startup problems
  1. can you get into Save Mode?
  2. No, I can't enter safe mode.

I also did a clean install just now, and I think it is doing the same thing, just slower. I am going to sleep now, so I cannot respond to any comments until tomorrow.
  3. What video card and size power supply do you have
  4. Built in video on both of them because the video card I had died recently. The power is 450W.
  5. Are you sure you mounted the CPU HSF right? Did you apply new thermal paste? If it shuts down that quick, it could be a CPU temp problem.
  6. Did not apply new thermal paste, is no longer quickly shutting down. Maybe this was 2 problems.
  7. So how is it running now?
  8. Yes. It is no longer crashing after 4 Hrs
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Windows XP