Is it the CPU or GPU causing my system to crash???

husky mctarflash

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Hi Everyone:

See my previous post for details: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253115-28-instability-upgraded-2180-8400-windows-reinstall-needed#t1854503

I have been trying to OC my e8400, but getting some strange results. As per the above post, I narrowed down the list of possible causes for instability. But now a new wrinkle...

Generally when my system crashes, it is during a videogame (BF2). Unless I just push the OC too far (e.g., 4.00), in which case it won't POST or Prime95 causes a crash. (Never had a BSOD though).

Today I OC'ed to 3.925, and ran Prime95 for 3 hours with no trouble. Last night, I gave it 8 hours at 3.9 with no trouble.

However, tonight I loaded BF2, loaded a map, and as soon as I entered the game (and presumably went into 3D mode), the computer instantly crashed. I brought the OC back down to 3.75, and the system (and gaming) was stable the rest of the night.

So it seems like when I OC, something goes haywire when I then do intensive VGA use (i.e., 3D). What does this mean? The higher the OC, the more likely I crash--but on 3D video only.

Software? (BF2 issue)
Driver? (videocard)
Some PCI setting?
Northbridge voltage?
Southbridge voltage?
PSU instability?
Anything else I am missing?

Similarly, I have an issue where perhaps 2 or 3 times a day the system will pause for a few seconds, and my screens (dual) will flash in horizontal sections, then all is well again. Inconvenience, but no huge deal. This happens randomly, whether I am in 3D gaming, or just office use. However, I can force this symptom by simply opening ATI Catalyst Control Center (happens every time). Are these issues related from what you can tell?

Check my signature for system specs., and that earlier post for more setting details. My VGA is OC'ed to 837 GPU/1210 mem., idling at the low 40s, and gaming at the high 50s to low 60s.

ANY ideas would be appreciated, regardless of how remote the possibility is. But damn, I would love for one of you to have a simple, obvious answer--regardless of how simple and obvious it should have been for me!!!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
could be fsb

you nb, or combintation - i have seen system that run 100% stabletity tests for 3 days then crash after gaming in 20 mins

in all cases a roll back of fsb solved the issue - these sysems had linked mem/cpu so a fsb rollaback reduced both cpu and mem speeds.

its also possible your temps are higher since your gpu is idle with orthos - did run orthos and 3dmark at the same time 3-4 times in row? good test also.

4ghz and e8400 is bad spot for fsb - I WROTE THIS THEN READ THE READ THE REST OF THE POST. a rollback in fsb did solve the issue

its your memor or nb

buy a faster cpu if you want 4ghz!