new build q6600 at 100% CPU usage

rhamulus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
i just finished my new build with a q6600 and when i have windows vista running with really nothing else going the cpu usage stays around 50% but has gone as high as 100 with no programs running, I downloaded Process Explorer so it could tell me what is being used and i found that everything looks normal except for something called Hardware Interrupts which goes from 5% to 15% and something called Deferred Procedure Calls which stays around 20% and goes as high as 30%. I cant close them and i dont really know what they are or how to fix them. I noticed that when i turned the computer on after it had been off all night that both of those were at 0% and cpu usage was around 1 or 2 percent with nothing open as it should be, but as the day went on and things were used it got higher to the numbers i said. any help on any of these issues would be appreciated, i got a q6600 cause i thought it would be a vast improvement over my 4 year old pentium4 and while it is better it seems sluggish at times because the cpu usage is so high.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
wow you have a virus!

i build q6600 systems everyweek and when usage is zero the background programs do not even regirstir at all. maybe a blip on one core

you go hijacked

runs a free scan - i would down load free spydoctor from google do not install it and disconect from the internet run it in safe mode

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Virus called vista. how long ago was the install, and have you included all updates, etc. Indexing service will take its toll, as well as antivirus programs all running at the same time should only work as fast as the hard drive, not going to max the processor though. I would then point to a driver issue. A buggy driver for video, sound, network, etc could certainly cause trouble. Look in that direction.

hixy

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
sounds like your computer may have a cold.

Might be worth a full wipe and re-install of vists seen as you have only just finished your new build.

I have a Q6600 with Vista and even when I am browsing the web and chatting on Steam it never goes above 3% usage and thats with my anti-virus there in the background.

I would agree though that there could be a faulty driver causing that.

I have never had it do that just in Vista doing nothing and each restore point is just basically the time before the driver was installed or changed so I would think that it just uninstalls that specific change.

I would probably reinstall Vista just for the ability to have it fresh then make sure you get anti-virus then updates.

Winly

Distinguished
a clean install will be the best option, but you can also get a goog antivirus like Kaspersky and do a complete scan, then use Ad-Aware and do the same and finally use something like TuneUp Utilities or Registry Mechanic to see if there is not something wrong with the registry, like missing paths or something like that. hope this help

rhamulus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
the thing is that im pretty sure its not a virus because it happened as soon as i built the computer. I installed vista and it would happen before i even connected to the internet. I thought it was vista having heard all the horror stories from it and installed xp but the same thing happened. So i figure its not the operating system. Along with drivers i installed everything that came with the motherboard, and the video card so i dont know what else really i should have..

falcodakrzz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Theres a small possibility that the heatsink isn't installed correctly, and the processor may be running a little hot...Also high cpu usage can be caused by using sticks of difference ram (a pc6400 with a pc 5400 for example) so check that.

rhamulus

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
i dont know where my last post went but i was looking around in the bios to check out the cpu temps when i turned the computer on and to my surprise it kept rising and topped out at around 85 C. Now im guessing thats not good, to the people who know what should it be around , the heatsink was the most diffucult/frustrating part to install outta the whole thing so is it possible that like falcodakrzz said that because the cpu is getting too hot that thats why the cpu usage is soo high with barely anything running?