Sign in with
Your question

Hybrid Crossfire X question for the M3A78-T motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
September 26, 2008 3:06:43 PM

What is the best configuration for using the ASUS M3A78-T?

It can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't figure out which graphics cards support the Hybrid Crossfire technology...

originally, I had chosen the Radeon HD 3870, but is that even compatible? It says Crossfire ready, but I figure that means you can use crossfire with another discrete video card... but does that also mean it works with the GPU already on the motherboard as well?

Please help, I'm just learning and I'm so confused... maybe I should get an entirely different motherboard...

Thank you
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2008 3:15:19 PM

Hybrid CrossFireX is the equivalent of nVidia’s GeForce Boost technology. It is targeted to low-end systems with on-board video motherboards. When you install a “real” video card compatible with this technology, the system sets the video card and the on-board video to work in parallel in CrossFire mode, increasing gaming performance.

Like it happens with nVidia’s counterpart, you need to have a motherboard with a compatible chipset and also a video card that supports this technology in order to use it. This technology only works under Windows Vista.
September 26, 2008 3:22:30 PM

So, basically, I'm not limited by the Hybrid Crossfire tech, and any Crossfire ready video card will receive increased performance?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2008 3:25:11 PM

Add an ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series graphics card. The result is a potent performance and productivity combination called ATI Hybrid Graphics.
Always present with the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series is ATI PowerPlay™ power management technology
a b V Motherboard
September 26, 2008 3:26:21 PM

Only the 3400 series ATI graphics card works.
September 26, 2008 3:27:30 PM

Ohhh, Okay, Thanks!
January 30, 2009 1:45:04 PM

I find it hard to believe that I can not find a review on the web that matches the 790FX chip with the 790GX chip in a full crossfire setup. The 790 GX chip only supports 1 card in full ePCI x 16 mode. The 790FX chip supports dual and triple x 16 in crossfire set ups while the 790GX only supports x8 in dual. How important is it for 2 cards running in a crossfire setup to be running at x16 vs x8 modes. Ya, ahha, think about that.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2009 7:05:59 AM

jukedyoass said:
So, basically, I'm not limited by the Hybrid Crossfire tech, and any Crossfire ready video card will receive increased performance?

it will work on your 3870 - im using the same board and graphic card - - - Enable the sorround view on Bios so that u can activate the 2 graphic card at the same time - - - the built in and the /video card - - - - -

50 percent boost on your system... specially on your gaming
April 11, 2009 1:46:21 PM

evongugg said:

Its not for power users. One 4830 will be much more powerful than any hybrid/ 3400 series configuration,and since the M3A7A-T board can only support 1 card in PCI-E 16x mode the best option is one dual core 4870 card. Why this hi-end chipset default to 8x PCI-E with 2 cards installed is beyond me!
April 11, 2009 1:50:03 PM

Quote:
it will work on your 3870 - im using the same board and graphic card - - - Enable the sorround view on Bios so that u can activate the 2 graphic card at the same time - - - the built in and the /video card - - - - -

50 percent boost on your system... specially on your gaming

Do not buy a 3400 series card. Buy a 4830 card instead. Even though the 4830 will not make use of the hybrid configuration, it will be twice as fast as any 3400 series card in a hybrid set up, and 4830 cards are cheap and almost as fast as a 4850.
April 11, 2009 1:51:48 PM

evongugg said:

Best bet, buy a motherboard that uses the 790FX chip instead of the 790GX chip if you want upgradability
April 11, 2009 2:07:42 PM

jukedyoass said:
What is the best configuration for using the ASUS M3A78-T?

It can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I can't figure out which graphics cards support the Hybrid Crossfire technology...

originally, I had chosen the Radeon HD 3870, but is that even compatible? It says Crossfire ready, but I figure that means you can use crossfire with another discrete video card... but does that also mean it works with the GPU already on the motherboard as well?

Please help, I'm just learning and I'm so confused... maybe I should get an entirely different motherboard...

Thank you

Do not buy a 3400 series card. Buy a 4830 card instead. Even though the 4830 will not make use of the hybrid configuration, it will be twice as fast as any 3400 series card in a hybrid set up, and 4830 cards are cheap and almost as fast as a 4850.
November 29, 2010 7:37:47 PM

rjberns said:

soooo, it's about 2 years later... I'm going to upgrade the card on my computer, I haven't changed anything in the hardware of the previous setup except that I added 4 more GBs of RAM (just cause... it was on sale, LOL)

The card I'm upgrading to, the Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X... Got a good deal on it, and from all reviews, it looks like a great card... I shouldn't have any problems with compatibility, right? Just uninstall the old drivers before I install the new card?

Thanks for any input! :bounce: 
!