Computer Shut Down, CPU Overheating?

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi,

In the last few days (not particularly hot weather) my PC has turned off (instant power off) about 4 times for seemingly no reason (i.e. not doing one particular task, once was playing COD4). When I restart it the CPU fan is running very fast and once I get back to windows (if it lets me, normally i need to leave it off for 10 mins) I check the CPU temp and its at about 67 or a little above - guess it would have been higher at the shut off point). Leaving the side panel off has helped stop it happening. I have an Athlon X2 4400 with stock cooler. System has been running for good few years. does it sound like the cpu turning off the system? Can it do that? Would cleaning the heatsink be a good solution?

My mobo is running at 58 degrees which ASUS PC Probe II is telling me is high (alerting me by lighting it up in red) but it isnt going any higher than that.

Thanks for any advice
NEVYNEV

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Hi! : )

Try removing the stock cooler, cleaning it, removing the thermal paste (with Artic Cleaner or something like that) and then using some Artic Silver 5 o OCZ Freeze. I would get some more fans into your case (or some with higher CFM).

Regards!

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
That is a little warm. Are all your case fans still working too? Overclocked? Might be a good idea to get some compressed air and clean the sucker of dust too.

If you reseat the heatsink, get some iso alcohol and a lintless sheet or google for other ideas like Arctic Cleaner. I prefer MX-2 as paste.

It very well could be the CPU shutting things down. Could also be the graphics card doing it, what are you running there? Make sure it's fan is still working too.

Good luck!

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Why would it "suddenly" start happening after running fine for ages. GPU is 8800 GTS 512 MB.

Thanks
NEVYNEV

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Well it could be some of your fans are dead/dieing, so I would check all of them - especially the ones on the graphics card and CPU. Also, if it's really dusty in there that can have an impact on heat as well.

I don't think I've ever heard of a heatsink-cpu 'connection' going bad over time, so I have my doubts about that. Have you tried to overclock recently?

Again though, fire it up and see what the fans are doing.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
the asus probe is user configured - red means nothing and 58c is ok

you will get instablity above 65-70c sometimes

clean the computer!

67 is high but shut off is higher -- crash could be from many things

clean it!

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

Thermal paste starts being less effective after 6-8 months (especially that crap that comes with the stock cooler).

: )

Winly

Distinguished
like other users have suggested, clean the CPU, put new thermal paste, clean the headsink, maybe there is a lot of dust and the air is not reaching there.

Overheating. CPU's cool FAST (I had a Pentium D drop 20 degrees in 2 minutes once; did a test where i turned off all my fans, made the temp go to 80, and turn them back on) when not doing anything. If you get 67 when you get back to windows, you were likely in the mid 70's when you shut down.