Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HD4870 1GB benchmarks?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 24, 2008 3:59:44 PM

Is there any 4870 1GB benchmarks? I cant find any and I see already these cards selling. Its very interesting to me what kind of advantage they have over the 4870 512MB and if they are getting closer to GTX280 performance

Anyone?

More about : hd4870 1gb benchmarks

July 24, 2008 4:14:21 PM

There's 4870s with 1 GB out? Where?
July 24, 2008 4:15:29 PM

rawsteel said:
Is there any 4870 1GB benchmarks? I cant find any and I see already these cards selling. Its very interesting to me what kind of advantage they have over the 4870 512MB and if they are getting closer to GTX280 performance

Anyone?


I have not seen anything on the 4870 1gb. Only the 4850 1gb, but no benchmarks to with those. I will tell you that if you play at very high resoluions then you can expect to see an increase in performance, but dont expect it to be substantial unless they change the clocks speeds along with the additional memory. The 1gb of memory is somewhat, for lack of a better term, "bottlenecked" by the 256bit width that the 48xx series architecture offers imo (I suppose I could be incorrect). Hope this helps.

Best,

3Ball
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 4:18:42 PM

yep pretty much the 4870 will probably not use all of it unless at very high res.
we all know the 9600GT/8800GT will 1 gb
July 24, 2008 4:25:21 PM

Different architectures use the memory differently though I think. 8800GT/9600GT barely make use of 1 GB of memory no matter what res you play at (based on benchmarks), but 4850/4870 may be different in that aspect. We'll have to wait and see though.
July 24, 2008 4:29:00 PM

the 1GB version is selling in UK already www.overclockers.co.uk but that can be a mistype, although it cost 240 GBP :) 
July 24, 2008 4:44:04 PM

:o  right :) 

I have overlooked it and didn't notice its preorder
July 24, 2008 4:59:24 PM

3Ball said:
The 1gb of memory is somewhat, for lack of a better term, "bottlenecked" by the 256bit width that the 48xx series architecture offers imo (I suppose I could be incorrect). Hope this helps.


I don't know if this is necessary true. The frequency and nature of the GDDR5 memory lessens the effect of that 'bottleneck.'
July 24, 2008 5:05:34 PM

hispeed120 said:
I don't know if this is necessary true. The frequency and nature of the GDDR5 memory lessens the effect of that 'bottleneck.'


That is true to an extent, but we will have to see some benchies to see if speed alone can address that amount of memory through the more narrow path. Time will tell.

Best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 5:12:04 PM

oh wow seems like its possible for the 4xxx series of cards to kick nvidia's ass even more lol.
July 24, 2008 5:18:51 PM

Agreed. This is finally what I have been waiting for to fully utilize my 24" monitor.
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 5:27:33 PM

3Ball said:
That is true to an extent, but we will have to see some benchies to see if speed alone can address that amount of memory through the more narrow path. Time will tell.

Best,

3Ball

It has more bandwidth than either an 8800 ultra, or a GTX 260, and with mild overclocking it can even beat a GTX 280 in bandwidth.

It won't be bottlenecked.
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 5:36:20 PM

you can pre order it and it may not be out yet, but shouldnt a website such as Tom's Hardware or another like it have gotten their hands on one already and benched it already? they usually get their hands on these things well before they hit production so they can reveal the results and the companies who make them let them get benched by Tom's Hardware and others so they can try to sell them before they're out... it's a dirty game y'all
July 24, 2008 5:50:37 PM

cjl said:
It has more bandwidth than either an 8800 ultra, or a GTX 260, and with mild overclocking it can even beat a GTX 280 in bandwidth.

It won't be bottlenecked.


What % increase are you expecting the extra memory to yield?

Best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 6:38:02 PM

I'd expect a significant boost at 2560x1600, and even 1920x1200 with AA in more recent games. I wouldn't expect miracles though, and I'd be surprised to see any difference at all at lower resolutions (<1920x1200).
July 24, 2008 6:41:29 PM

cjl said:
I'd expect a significant boost at 2560x1600, and even 1920x1200 with AA in more recent games. I wouldn't expect miracles though, and I'd be surprised to see any difference at all at lower resolutions (<1920x1200).


Yea depending on the game I can understand increases at 2560x1600 and not as high, but also some at 1920x1200. That is the case with most cards when there is a memory increase. Like I said there would be an increase at higher resolutions, but the overall speed of the card imo will not change much on average. Though once again...I could be wrong. Just goin by what history has shown us.

Best,

3Ball
July 24, 2008 6:52:07 PM

superclocked versions of the 4870 are going to be available soon with core speeds up to 850 and memore over 4GHz. 4GHz is more bandwidth than the GTX280 so we will see raw core chip comparison in performance
July 24, 2008 6:52:30 PM

The best way of using this card is cf use, where prosessing power is not the issue.
July 24, 2008 7:04:34 PM

rawsteel said:
superclocked versions of the 4870 are going to be available soon with core speeds up to 850 and memore over 4GHz. 4GHz is more bandwidth than the GTX280 so we will see raw core chip comparison in performance


Yea those will be some beasts! lol

Best,

3Ball
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 8:44:11 PM

yeah cores will be over 950 ... and the ram is supposed to go upto 4.8 ghz...

I think the magic places are 1 ghz core clocks and 5 ghz memory... that would be sweet
a b U Graphics card
July 24, 2008 8:46:52 PM

5GHz is such a stupidly high clock speed for a factory part.

I love it :D 
July 24, 2008 9:01:19 PM

cjl said:
5GHz is such a stupidly high clock speed for a factory part.

I love it :D 


lol, agreed!

Best,

3Ball
July 26, 2008 2:11:52 AM

i agree too!
!