Need some help with stuttering music

kazuya-kun

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I'm thinking my problem either has to do with my memory, or my hard drive.

Here's the problem, I think after my computer goes into sleep/hibernate mode and I boot it back up. If any music player, Winamp, itunes is playing anything, and I go to load a page with any browser(IE7,FF,Google Chrome) with loads of pictures, the music will stutter when loading the images. More images more stuttering. This doesn't seem to happen if I play games or any other programs, just webpage browsing.

Initially I thought it was because I was too aggressive with my ram timings since my Q6600 is OCed to 3.2ghz and I ran the ram at 4-4-4-12 timings, with 1.9V(original timings 5-5-5-15) but I returned the timings to their original (left it on automatic which is default on my bios).

Problem returned. Not sure if its the virtual memory either on computer since I returned it to System Managed and problem still occurs.

Anyways songs are in a slave drive, but music still stutter even if played from main hard drive.

I'm using Vista Ultimate SP1, 4gb Munskins(forgot how to correctly spell it), Q6600 356x9 @ 3.2ghz. WD640 gb harddrive.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
This sounds like a very weird software problem. Most likely an odd glitch with your sound driver. What you are describing though is very specific circumstances.

Try uninstalling ALL of your mobo and sound drivers and then dling and installing the newest ones. That might help. You might also look into disabling MMCSS.

kazuya-kun

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Ouch is uninstalling all of that really necessary? Also the drivers are all fully updated, and what is this MMCSS?

For now I have my sleep mode option disabled but that's only temporary fix.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Uninstalling all of them is necessary however, if you have the latest drivers I am not sure if this will do you much good. It is worth a shot though if all else fails.

MMCSS is sort of an audio error correcting service although it does a very poor job. Some people have reported that disabling this fixes their sound issues so I guess it is worth a try. Just to let you know MSCONFIG won't work since it will also disable Windows Sound service, you will have to do a REGEDIT. I think you can find some instruction by googeling it.

TRENDING THREADS