How do I go about changing drive letter?

tyler2time

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hello, So heres my situation. I was originally running windows xp (c:) I partioned the hard drive and added windows 7 (d:). Now I want to get rid of the XP and change the Win7 to C:. Will this mess up all my program I have installed on the Win7? Also I got Wubi installed on XP (c:) can I just move the ubuntu folder to the win7 (d:) and it will still boot up? Last question: How do I get rid of XP on the Boot Manager if I go ahead and delete Xp? sorry for the multiple questions, thanks in advance.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
You can not change the letter of a system partition, - well not from windows at least- As for removing xp from boot manager:
in win 7 press start and write: msconfig then press enter, from the opened window go to boot tab now you should be able to see both your win7 and xp boot command line .
select xp and press delete!

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Then log in win xp, right click my computer> properties> advanced tab> start up and recovery> settings
in the new opened window press edit: boot.ini will be opened, delete xp line under {operating systems} save and restart.