• OMGWTFITSGONNAPWNNOMATTERWHAT

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Call it quits

Votes: 18 22.0%

• Total voters

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9858/nvidia_s_next_big_bang_coming_soon/index.html

Now, those things may be stating the obvious as far as progression goes for future driver releases, but the particularly interesting thing to note is the mention of the Big Bang II which this spy shot indicates is arriving in September.

Given NVIDIA called the introduction of SLI Big Bang I prior to its unveiling, this next big bang certainly has us all wondering.

What could it be?

Don't you guys just love speculation? :lol: Please vote!

cal8949

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
i wanna see a graphic board where you can swap the processor and ram. have it fully customizable. or i want to see true dual core processors

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

True words. :D However, I don't guess that's what NVIDIA's BB2 is all about... I guess ASUS had a prototype based on the concept you described, anyway, but it never made its way to the streets.

That's a toughie. I'd like to see a card with AT LEAST 8800GT performance (preferably 4870X2 performance!) that uses a fraction of the power of current cards.
What I think we'll get is a very modest bump in performance, but at least the first of a set of working APIs to let a GPU handle a lot more tasks, not just physics, and useful demo code to go with them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
It's called steadyshot; it comes standard on almost every digital camera nowadays.

Tip:

Stop drinking 15 cups of coffee before attempting to snap shots of a PC monitor...

Being able to actually READ the print on the screen might help with the confusion.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

That would be nice, although very unlikely... :C Also, if we think about current GPUs' temperatures...

G

I think its likely the BIG BANG II will be a new cross connect between cards that will allow better scaling... also they will announce it in conjunction with the gt200 refresh...

although I hope its a new arch... its highly unlikely

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I think its likely the BIG BANG II will be a new cross connect between cards that will allow better scaling... also they will announce it in conjunction with the gt200 refresh...

although I hope its a new arch... its highly unlikely

This is somewhat what I was leaning to as well; but we'll see I suppose

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What I think we'll get is a very modest bump in performance, but at least the first of a set of working APIs to let a GPU handle a lot more tasks, not just physics, and useful demo code to go with them.

Hybrid SLI with one GPU committed to traditional GPU tasks and the second as an additional 'CPU'??

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
what cal89 said would be awesome, ive been dreaming about something like that...imagine how cheap that solution could be, upgrading every few months would be too possible
i kno asus had a prototype, but they only made like...6 i think

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
i'd have to say it's just a new version of SLI that will scale about 23% better than the current SLI layout... performance tweaks really...

i dont have time to look it up again, but there's a company out there that claims to have scaled SLI and X-Fyre to 80-95%, that's right, both SLI and X-Fyre, with that said, it's not hard to believe that Nvidia knows how to scale SLI better, they're just milking it like a hog...

Possibly, or even a single GPU able to handle work in addition to traditional graphics tasks, particularly when not gaming.
...something that might begin to justify their assertions regarding the CPU becoming unnecessary. Imagine something able to make Intel sweat enough to start cutting prices, or maybe stopping the "new socket every time the Grinch sneezes" obsolescence game.

Doubt its anything to do with SLI.

I'm guessing a new architecture; I've heard some whispers for some time now, and the current line of GPU's are all re-hashed 8800's. NVIDIA's due for something thats 100% new.

It could also be a partnership of some sort, or something to do with onboard physics.

G

WHAT IF... the big bang II is the announcement that world peace may now commence

hehe

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
WHAT IF... the big bang II is the announcement that world peace may now commence

hehe

Most people wouldn't care since their framerate wouldn't improve and they wouldn't be able to start flame wars. ;D

(Or actually nobody would do anything because the "world" would be "KABOOM", if that's what you meant ;D)

Considering it say this update will bring various improvements like;
Display connectivity
Quality improvements
Performance improvements
OGL 3.0 support

Sounds more driver based than hardware based.

Sound like new algorythms, improved SLi including PhysX on a second card not just primary, plus proably updated control panel, and of course it will launch next to the G200b to give it more than one day of press.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

Could reduce cpu overhead - but that might be solvable through drivers as well.

I could see a pretty big upset with Intel and BR04 chips if that were the case though, heh; but anyways, TGGA has a good point and that'd be nice too.

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
i can see the gtx280+ with that high a clock that they'll have to move it outside the case because of heat, but they will put a spin on it and say its the next logical step, its the only thing they can do to counter the 4870x2 at such short notice

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
They are actually going to start selling graphics upgrades as full Nvidia "TESLA GAMER" units. It'll only cost 12,000$ for a graphics upgrade, it'll be fully external to your regular PC, and it'll come with a KOOL KASE TOO!

: DDDDDDDDD

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
who cares? it'll be another overpriced nvidia product. The truth of the matter is that even if they bring out a card that eclipsed everything in the graphics world what software needs it besides the resource hungry crytek engine?