Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom FX Deneb Core - Kentsfield Beater

Last response: in CPUs
August 27, 2008 4:49:46 PM

AMD Phenom FX Deneb core

AMD Phenom™ FX processor

There's said to be two chips in the pipeline, the FX-80 at 4Ghz and the FX-82 at 4.4GHz.
The FX-80 at stock out performs a 5.0GHz Kentsfield.

The Deneb core apparently has a multiplyer of up to 25x!

Source: http://reviewage.co.uk/content/view/33/1/

[:pogsnet]
can't wait to see this
August 27, 2008 5:06:12 PM

If this turns out to be true, I'm all over it! The only problem is it will probably consume 300W! Time to get rid of the 5000+BE and get a new PSU too!
August 27, 2008 5:11:34 PM

Primus462 said:
If this turns out to be true, I'm all over it! The only problem is it will probably consume 300W! Time to get rid of the 5000+BE and get a new PSU too!

that sounds quite promising. for amd's sake i hope it's true. but that probably would use alot of power! i hope they make a decent performing one at a 95W TDP. thats the highest my motherboard supports :( 
Related resources
August 27, 2008 5:13:56 PM

20x multiplier is just a kill for any processor. Doesn't look that true...
August 27, 2008 5:35:33 PM

This is crazy if they really release it.
August 27, 2008 5:40:21 PM

it's a fake, look at the cpu-z and tell me what looks wrong? here's a secret for ya, mmx is intel only
August 27, 2008 5:42:28 PM

I like this quote from the Web-Site.......

""The AMD Phenom™ FX processor is the most advanced PC processor in the galaxy.
AMD Phenom™ FX processors deliver the ultimate megatasking experience,
providing direct and rapid information flow between processor cores,
main memory, and
graphics and video accelerators.""

Based on That, Nothing else on the Site is Believeable.

Oh, And Their Source - "We Found this JPEG on some HomePage for Some ComputerShop".

LOL!!!! Gotta Be True Huh?
August 27, 2008 5:42:41 PM

I suppose its possible with the die shrink to concentrate on design flaw(s) that lead to the poor clocks on the 65nm Phenoms. The 6Mb cache probably wouldn't hurt either!! :sol: 

It would help us all if the only decent AMD processor (price / performance) wasn't the ultra budget Opteron 1210 - competition and all that!! :wahoo: 

Bob
August 27, 2008 5:43:02 PM

kg4icg said:
it's a fake, look at the cpu-z and tell me what looks wrong? here's a secret for ya, mmx is intel only

Its isnt the first time GPUz returned bad info on new CPUs. Look at the freaking voltage.

I call Sheninagans on this one, but lets wait !!

*Dressing fire proff vest*
August 27, 2008 6:20:05 PM

I call this a FUD. Some Chinese source claimed that AMD is going to release 3GHz version of Deneb a few month later, and I think these sources are more credible than this one.
August 27, 2008 6:40:40 PM

kg4icg said:

Uhhmmm don't think so:

But the voltage on that thing is a joke (1.6V) it's like an Athlon XP core voltage (even my socket 940 Opteron 248 is 1.4V). At that high a level a 4Ghz processor would have like a 200+Watt TDP!!

Bob
August 27, 2008 6:46:15 PM

If you squint... it really looks like 1.166v, not 1.6v on it.

But on the other hand... it took how long for AMD to finally get a 45mn beater for the 65mn Kentfield series?

Also, I'd like to know if it actually can run 4ghz, on air, and without too much problems in stablity. :D 
August 27, 2008 6:54:40 PM

Grimmy said:
If you squint... it really looks like 1.166v, not 1.6v on it.

But on the other hand... it took how long for AMD to finally get a 45mn beater for the 65mn Kentfield series?

Also, I'd like to know if it actually can run 4ghz, on air, and without too much problems in stablity. :D 

Uhhhmmm my bad.

[Adjusts specs. - lowers resolution to 800x600]

Why can't people post clear fake pictures!!

I guess that voltage would be right to run a CPU at 4Ghz.

Current Intel CPUs sail past 4Ghz relative ease while AMD chugs along in the slow lane... So this would be a big boost for AMD. Clock for clock the K10 architecture is not a million miles behind the C2D architecture.

Bob

August 27, 2008 6:58:21 PM

Definitely fake. Given the architecture and process node Deneb is built on, this "FX-80 @ 4Ghz" is completely fake.
August 27, 2008 7:00:03 PM

this would be awsome if this is true but the source is just too skitchy.
August 27, 2008 7:07:47 PM

If this is true i will actually lick the armpits of a really sweaty fat disgusting man. Then eat his foecal (sp?) matter.
a c 87 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 27, 2008 7:10:21 PM

I called fake as soon as I saw this.

Quote:
There's said to be two chips in the pipeline, the FX-80 at 4Ghz and the FX-82 at 4.4GHz.
The FX-80 at stock out performs a 5.0GHz Kentsfield http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2%23Kentsfield .

The core are "similar", but the AMD is the one thats behind. To have it suddenly take the lead, by a gig no less, is whats hard to believe. Deneb will be faster then Phenom, but by probably less then 10% for the most part. From what I know, there simply aren't enough changes to make it much faster clock for clock.

Seeing as AMD hasn't released a real chip faster then 3.2GHz (did they ever do 3.4GHz?), I don't think they can release a 4GHz right off the bat. Maybe a 3.6GHz, but not 4GHz. Besides, where did they find a stock 5GHz kents? I swear, some people will believe anything.
August 27, 2008 7:19:39 PM

after a little googleing, i turned up some info on the planned FX-80.
The FX-80 was originally supposed to be 2.2 and 2.3 GHz. There was a FX-90 series that was to debut at 2.6GHz. However, this was back on '07 when the first Phenoms were coming.
This piece of info is probably a fake, but if AMD really does have a processor like this, I can't wait to get my hands on it.
August 27, 2008 7:30:12 PM

OK, I just have to do this.... but will it play Crysis?
August 27, 2008 7:33:32 PM

Uhhhmm it's funny how the FX series seems to have died with the launch of the Phenom mark 1.0 0.5 zero... :lol: 

Bob
August 27, 2008 7:55:23 PM

hehehe its like those good ole Pentium 4 days
August 27, 2008 8:19:34 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
OK, I just have to do this.... but will it play Crysis?

no :p 
August 27, 2008 8:32:13 PM

Dayum, there goes all my hopes. Anyone got any cheesecake?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2008 12:13:07 PM

heylo fouks.....

found this link when i googled for something else... sheer luck...
the original site is hardspell.com

now... don't stone me to death just yet... but increased competition is indeed good news... whether you are an Intel fan or of AMD

http://nl.babelfish.yahoo.com/transl...TrUrl=Vertalen
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2008 12:21:20 PM

Noone's denying competition's a good thing- every single person here wants AMD to survive, we're denying the truth of this article though!
August 28, 2008 12:37:41 PM

Quote:
heylo fouks.....

found this link when i googled for something else... sheer luck...
the original site is hardspell.com

now... don't stone me to death just yet... but increased competition is indeed good news... whether you are an Intel fan or of AMD

http://nl.babelfish.yahoo.com/transl...TrUrl=Vertalen

Your link takes me to babelfish blog window ???
August 28, 2008 1:01:02 PM

nice fake, shame it wasnt even a mild overclock on an crap processor

intel till i die
August 28, 2008 1:14:32 PM

If this is true then Intel could see heavy loses.....AMD is already coming back please see my thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/253036-10-gaining-g...

Is this true? Well I can't say for sure....it's possible though. AMD have proven numerous times they can make anything possible....Int-hell must be worried.

Int-hell are Evil!

AMD4Life!!
a b à CPUs
August 28, 2008 1:17:22 PM

Did anyone else just see that?!?
August 28, 2008 1:42:58 PM

It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...It's FAKE.....it's REAL...

wow for now who cares......stop being babies

as long as it can run Word and Excel faster then that is all that matters...it woudl be nice to drop 16gb of RAM in with that thing and actually be able to get in a game of minesweeper or solitaire.
August 28, 2008 4:03:18 PM

Its a bird ? Its a plane ? Oh noes, it is thunderman !!!

Hell mate, don't quote, don't copy paste. Use you own words and arguments mate !!

My dog is managing a successful botnet, and he only knows to do copy+paste.
August 28, 2008 4:41:08 PM

thunderman said:
If this is true then Intel could see heavy loses.....AMD is already coming back please see my thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/253036-10-gaining-g...

Is this true? Well I can't say for sure....it's possible though. AMD have proven numerous times they can make anything possible....Int-hell must be worried.

Int-hell are Evil!

AMD4Life!!

[/sigh]
Ahh yes...an 'analyst' said AMD is coming back.

I see your analayst and raise you 2 investment ratings:

Analyst states AMDs stock going to zero:

http://www.stockpickr.com/problog/766/

Quote:
Regardless of market direction, regardless of the economy, there are a few companies out there that are already the walking dead. They can’t compete, or they’ve suffered from years of poor management, or their expenses have spiraled out of control due to rising cost of inputs, or they are just in the wrong business at the wrong time.

Even Buffett has said that the best management team in the world can’t save a business in a poor industry. He found this out all too well when he bought a struggling textile mill and failed to turn it around: Berkshire Hathaway. Ultimately, he gave up on the mill and stuck to insurance.

Hedge funds know all too clearly which stocks are going down the drain. When a stock is heavily shorted, there is only one reason: Hedge funds are gunning for it. They’ve done the research, they’ve spied on the CEOs and CFOs. They’ve rifled through the garbage cans in the company parking lot. They’ve pretended to b janitors while poking through the papers scattered on the COO's desk.

So here are the things we found in the three stocks below that are going to zero:

- Heavy short interest
- Declining revenues and margins
- A competitor that has become the industry leader by a wide margin
- Factors distracting management
- Heavy debt load so the company will not be able to tread water without restructuring itself and crushing shareholders
- Consistently missed analyst estimates
- Very few quality hedge funds as shareholders

Note: A high P/E ratio is not reason to short. Just because Baidu (BIDU) or Apple (AAPL) has a 100 times P/E doesn’t mean it’s a short. Once it's overvalued, if it continues to grow, it could easily grow even more overvalued. What you need to look for are the companies whose business is fundamentally flawed.
Quote:
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD): Last week, AMD posted $1.35 billion in revenues, a sequential quarter-over-quarter decline of 10%, and it guided down for next quarter. Despite enormous technical creativity, AMD simply does not have the resources to compete with Intel (INTC). The myth of a duopoly in the chip space is over, and Intel is the winner.

AMD just replaced its long-time CEO, and it is trying to sell of two fab facilities in order to raise cash, despite raising $600 million just last November. Meanwhile, Intel is sitting on over $11 billion in net cash vs. AMD’s $3.5 billion in net debt. Intel can throw cash at any technical or competitive issue, while AMD is dealing with management turmoil, continued troubles integrating its acquisition of ATI Technologies, and cash management issues.

"Fitch affirms 'B-' rating on AMD"

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/8f80d5226bc960d9a73b51fdd7b54fa1.htm

Quote:
NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Fitch Ratings on Friday affirmed its "B-" issuer default rating on chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc. with a "negative" outlook.

A "B-" rating is non-investment grade, also known as "junk."

Fitch said the ratings and outlook continue to reflects its expectations that AMD's operating performance will "remain relatively weak over the near term, despite recent new product introductions."

"Moody's downgrades ratings for Advanced Micro"

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/e814e87ec4063fcfca6ffa9d13d8e25e.htm

Quote:
NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Moody's Investor Service lowered corporate family ratings for chip maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc., citing ongoing operating losses and a competitive market that includes a bigger rival, Intel Corp.

Moody's said Monday it downgraded the ratings to "B2" from "B1." It also revised the rating on a $390 million senior note due in 2012 to "B3" from "B2" and said the outlook is negative.

The service said in a note its negative rating outlook reflects the company's "challenges to move its operating performance towards a level of self-funding profitability and then to sustain that momentum."

Moody's said it believes Advanced Micro "will remain challenged to internally fund the advancement of its process capability and production capacity, which is essential to keep pace with competitor manufacturing cost reduction and process node advances."

Moody's also cited risks inherent to "the volatile and capital intensive microprocessor segment of the semiconductor industry."
August 28, 2008 6:15:46 PM

My smart money is in money trees.
August 28, 2008 8:29:49 PM

kg4icg said:
mmx is intel only
That is eaither briliant parody or. . . something else.

[EDIT: I mean, OK, I don't know who reads this stuff anyway, but history must be preserved!]
August 28, 2008 9:33:28 PM

It's believable... if you're a total AMD tool!

Think about it, their fastest processor is currently that X4 9950, it runs at a measly, laughable 2.6 ghz. AMD is more worried about getting to 3ghz than some pipe dream.

pogsnet said:
AMD Phenom FX Deneb core
http://www.reviewage.co.uk/images/stories/phenom-fx.jpg
AMD Phenom™ FX processor

http://www.reviewage.co.uk/images/stories/phenom-cpuz.jpg

can't wait to see this

August 28, 2008 9:57:28 PM

I feel sorry for whoever thought this was even remotely possible...

This is clearly a publicity stunt from a new site hoping for hits - and its clearly worked. Although its fair to say their rep is forever tarnished...
August 28, 2008 10:06:34 PM

What I do find interesting is, if say Deneb uses 12% less power at the same clock, and the 45nm node being used, we actually dont know how well we will see the point of diminishing returns up to/at what frequency, meaning, it could do well and reach much higher clocks, tho 4.4 , even for a dual core, seems preposterous
August 28, 2008 10:20:26 PM

Well, current B3 Phenoms top out at around 3.4GHz on a SB750 mobo, so 3.6 - 3.8GHz should be doable for Deneb, maybe even 4GHz with good cooling.

However, it has to be mentioned that although it does run cooler, it also has a much smaller die compared to Agena, so heat density would be working against it.
August 28, 2008 10:35:24 PM

Doesnt it contain more cache? Wonder how much that applies towards TDP? Also, my take on the 4.4 and 4.0 would be at 4.0 comes the quad, whereas at 4.4 would be the dual. I dont believe it, but people have expressed why there two FX chips in the article, maybe this is why
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 28, 2008 11:34:39 PM

^Phenom FX was replaced by Phenom BE. The FX series was supposed to be the 9950BE, if you remember the older FX series had a unlocked multi and were priced much higher and normally a higher stock speed.

This is complete BS. Its just too hard to believe and especially since they compared it to a 5GHz Kentsfield which has never been tested. They also fail to mention in what.
August 28, 2008 11:43:45 PM

Oh I know its too hard to believe. Im just saying, trying to poke holes in by saying theyre offering 2 unlocked is insane, maybe thats what theyre saying, and the more important part is the clocks themselves which shouldnt be believed. Also, whats the importance of having an FX if it isnt? If these were truly coming out, then yes, Id say they would be called FX, as theyd most certainly be top performers, but since AMD doesnt have a top performer, they dont use that term, tho they could, if they ever do again
August 28, 2008 11:49:11 PM

jimmysmitty said:
^Phenom FX was replaced by Phenom BE. The FX series was supposed to be the 9950BE, if you remember the older FX series had a unlocked multi and were priced much higher and normally a higher stock speed.

FX series isnt done. in the past FX processors have been rebranded opterons, and always have the highest clock frequency of any of the other AMD cpus at the time of its release. FX series cpus are also supposed to be top of the line enthusiast cpus, like core 2 extreme level. untill you see any AMD's that can get near a core 2 extreme you wont see an FX series
August 28, 2008 11:52:11 PM

Quote:
*tranqs the wingding and transports back to his cage*

nothing to see here folks.

Helps SS with transport by placing plastic bag filled with Oprah fanny batter over the head of the wingding.
August 28, 2008 11:52:52 PM

and when FX makes a comeback BE will go away as they cant coexist because nobody would buy an FX if they can get an BE for 1/2 the price
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 29, 2008 3:51:51 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Oh I know its too hard to believe. Im just saying, trying to poke holes in by saying theyre offering 2 unlocked is insane, maybe thats what theyre saying, and the more important part is the clocks themselves which shouldnt be believed. Also, whats the importance of having an FX if it isnt? If these were truly coming out, then yes, Id say they would be called FX, as theyd most certainly be top performers, but since AMD doesnt have a top performer, they dont use that term, tho they could, if they ever do again

The main point of the FX series was the unlocked multiplier. It was there to fight againast the Intel EE CPUs hence when the first FXs hit they were in the $1K area of price.

jjokubauskas said:
FX series isnt done. in the past FX processors have been rebranded opterons, and always have the highest clock frequency of any of the other AMD cpus at the time of its release. FX series cpus are also supposed to be top of the line enthusiast cpus, like core 2 extreme level. untill you see any AMD's that can get near a core 2 extreme you wont see an FX series

Well until AMD can get a higher clocked CPU you are right the FX series wont come back. That and they normally price the FX series very high in price because it is supposed to be the highest clocked CPU with the highest OCing ability just like the Intel EE CPUs.

But as I said this is more than likely fake.
August 29, 2008 6:29:09 AM

pogsnet said:
AMD Phenom FX Deneb core
http://www.reviewage.co.uk/images/stories/phenom-fx.jpg
AMD Phenom™ FX processor

http://www.reviewage.co.uk/images/stories/phenom-cpuz.jpg

can't wait to see this

Bwhahahaha!!!!

As soon as I see a thread with reference to Intel and AMD and a word such as "beater" then I know its bollocks. FACT.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2008 7:08:54 AM

There is no way this is possible.If there were Denebs at 4 and 4.4 Ghz even Core i7 would be beat.A stock Deneb at 3 Ghz yes that's possible.
August 29, 2008 7:25:51 AM

WingDing said:
My smart money is in money trees.

Quote:
*tranqs the wingding and transports back to his cage*

nothing to see here folks.

dwellman said:
That is eaither briliant parody or. . . something else.

[EDIT: I mean, OK, I don't know who reads this stuff anyway, but history must be preserved!]

Holy crap....who left the door unlocked
!