Please help me!!! I am about to tear off my hair!!

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Ok the dramatic thread title is really true. I am really going crazy :??: Now heres my problem:
I currently own the following:
CPU: E4300 @ 1.8ghz(cant OC)
Mobo:Intel G965RYCK
Ram: 1GB DDR2 800Mhz
Vidoe card: Onboard
Monitor: Crappy Philips CRT 17" Monitor
I currently have around 350$ with me. I really have my eyes set on a 24" LCD monitor.
Now I do know, I alteast need a 3850 equivalent card to game on medium settings in such high resolution display. Maybe I can persue my dad to buy me a ~150$ GPU in a months time. Now comes the problem. If I just buy a 3850 card, will I be able to get decent FPS(w\o eyecandy) @ a stock E4300 in resolutions as high as 1650X1040. Another thing is, I can even squeeze to get a 4850, but wont my CPU be bottlenecking it?? What should I do?? Is a 24" LCD just not in my destiny :fou: I want a big display because I have a 21" TV @ my place. So I thought, why not get a big display and watch TV on it too. Any help much appreciated. Whats the minimum configs people have seen using a 24" display?? THanks to everyone for your time and i hope the question isnt as difficult as its been to me for the past one week :pfff:

Actually E4300 is still not that bad. Just OC it, add more RAM (at least 2 GB) and you can still enjoy all todays games.
All you need is a decent GPU, and a HD3850 or something better is enough for you right now. You can upgrade your proc and/or mobo sometime later.

If you wanna play Crysis on a 24'' at maximum resolution and settings, well....there are not a single system on earth that is capable of doing so at the moment (I think). Just reduce your resolution and/or settings, and you'll be fine.
I am playing crysis on 1680x1050 at medium setting without antialiansing, it is still enjoyable.

Don't forget to check your PSU, if its capacity is 450W or above, you'll be fine, if not the you'll have to put a PSU on your budget.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Ok thanks for your input. My PSU is Umax 450W PSU with 25A on 12v rails. Now my prob is my mobo doesnt support overclocking. If I am not able to OC still this rig is good enough to run games on 24" displays?
I am very kewl with medium settings and no eye candy as such. Crysis I dont care because i didnt like it(COD4 rox tho). :) Still one thing remains. If a stock E4300 is good enough??

nhanandmel

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Go Google "BSEL MOD" for your E4300. If you aren't able to overclock your system normally the Bsel mod is an alternative. BUT BE CAREFUL!

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Thanks by heaps man. I will check it out. Hope it doesnt fry my seytem to death :) Anythinng else you suggest guys?? If I atall get it to OC to around 2.4GHz, should i go for 4850 then??

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Update* I looked at BSEL mod and frankly speaking it looks too risky man :( I dont think I will do it correctly and might screw it up :( Are there any BIOS mods for my mobos or a software mod?? Sorry but i dont have the guts to risk my cpu at this point :(