AMD’s First 45nm Desktop processors to Arrive on the 8th of Jan 2009

blackwidow_rsa

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
hopefully it'll have better or equal permormance to Qxxxx, Nehalem is bit too expensive for most when released. Buying a LGA775 motherboard near nehalem's launch kind of limits your options in the future, even though AMD doesnt have a good socket "record".

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
So much for all the phanboy speculation of 'september 08', and (suprisingly) lending credence to crapzillas report that the major mobo manufacturers have yet to recieve samples of deneb

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Hopefully, they'll make a damn good product which would fill the gap between the C2D/C2Q of today and the Nehalems of tomorrow, which would in turn get Intel to drop Nehalem CPU prices quicker!

If AMD screws this up, we'll be left with a true monopoly and 1500$ Extreme edition Nehalems...

Kinda seems like mixed messages out there on the internets. Can't really tell the FUD from the facts.

I thought engineering samples went out last spring to vendors. And even Xbit reported at the end of July ...

Dirk Meyer, the new chief executive officer of Advanced Micro Devices, said during a conference call with financial analysts that the company had initiated pilot production of microprocessors using 45nm fabrication process and that the chipmaker was on track to deliver actual products in volume in early fourth quarter.

“We are well on track with the 45nm plan as we have been telling this group about in the past. We have actually started production late last quarter and are on track to start buying shipments early in Q4,” said Dirk Meyer during the conference call.

Earlier it was widely believed that AMD will only manage to start shipments of its 45nm microprocessors late in Q4, however, the company now seems to be a bit more optimistic about its 45nm transition.

http://xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20080721084621_AMD_Initiates_Pilot_Production_of_45nm_Chips.html

So either Dirk was telling stories a month ago or someone is playing a little game of 'rope-a-dope' - lol

skywalker9952

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
so is this all chips or just desktop ones that are scheduled for next year?

Good question

If you notice at the bottom of the story
"Officials from AMD did not comment on the news-story."
So where is the info coming from?
More speculation seems to me. As with anything phenom related I'll believe it when its hits store shelves (or e shelves) till then I am content to wait and hope for the best.

It also only mentions the higher clocked cpus, no mention of the lower end, which is AMDs way of releasing their cpus, lower first, higher later, so maybe thats true for ONLY the higher clocked cpus, but again, who knows?

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Not neccesarily....think Phenom B2....maybe the deneb samples did ship when Dirk said, but AMD found a flaw after the fact, and rather than going through another Phenom debacle they raced back to the boards to square it away before release. This time.

Nothing whatsoever to back that up...but if it did ship, and the mobo manufacturers dont have it, and it isnt being announced until Jan 09....well, sounds like somethings afoot at the circle K.

Nobody has posted any ES benchies ... though prior to the Core2 release there were thousands of ES's floating about ...

No sneek benchies out of the mobo factory from coolaler either.

Smells bad for an 08 launch to me.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Lets wait and see, ATI/AMD were pretty quiet before the R700 Launch. There was the NDA mess, but i can see here a change of modus operandi. It means, no more FUD and pre-reviews before the things are ready to ship. Or already shipped in this case.
I'm cool if that is the case. I prefer if they keep it low, and deliver a good product, instead of calling it cheese cake and we see that is last years bread. For Example Kuma, they have been quite silent up till now. Lets wait and see.

Better than to put up with fan boys speculating about speculation.