Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Thai language at dos command prompt

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 1:31:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have Thai language working in most programs. How can I get it to display in
the dos window? Thanks.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 8:44:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Jill in Thailand wrote:
> I have Thai language working in most programs. How can I get it to display in
> the dos window? Thanks.

It's NOT a DOS window. It's a Command Prompt window that features a
subset of DOS's capabilities. Remember that SOME DOS applications
utilize direct access to the computer's hardware (keyboard, mouse,
printer port, modem etc) that Windows XP intentionally blocks to enhance
system stability and security.

IF foreign language versions of Windows XP feature native language
Command Line windows you would have to purchase and install that
language's version of Windows XP. OS language versions could ONLY affect
standard command names and help prompts anyway, as applications and
batch files running in the Command Prompt window would have their own
language capabilities or settings. An assortment of languages in the
Command Prompt window would add the complication of English language
batch files becoming incompatible with Command Prompt windows utilizing
other languages, thus requiring different batch file versions for each
language.

Windows applications are typically written with powerfull development
tools that simplify the task of a programmer willing to enable alternate
languages for user prompts, help files and control labels. This applys
to third party Windows computable applications and those that come with
Windows. The combination of older, less sophisticated, development tools
and the limited memory and storage resources available in older
computers made multi language DOS applications less common.

Separately installed applications would have independent foreign
language versions or language options during installation.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:27:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

To Robert: Thanks for the answer. I see what you mean, that the problem is in
the program. This is the description of the program: "OpenKore is a
collaborative project for creating a Free, Open Source custom client for
Ragnarok Online servers. It's written in Perl (and some parts in C++), and is
cross-platform." This is a 'bot' that plays the game Ragnarok for a person. I
don't know if you've heard of Ragnarok. It's really popular in Thailand. In
the game, the characters chat and we use Thai and English. But I can open the
real game program for that. So thanks for the help! In case you're wondering
why I run the 'bot program' it's to save time. I can get my characters to be
more powerful without having to sit at the computer playing. There are many
bot programs for Ragnarok and in some the Thai language works. They all run
at the command prompt window. Of course the real game runs in XP. Thanks
again for your time.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:07:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

RobertVA wrote:
> Jill in Thailand wrote:
>
>> I have Thai language working in most programs. How can I get it to
>> display in the dos window? Thanks.
>
>
> It's NOT a DOS window. It's a Command Prompt window that features a
> subset of DOS's capabilities. Remember that SOME DOS applications
> utilize direct access to the computer's hardware (keyboard, mouse,
> printer port, modem etc) that Windows XP intentionally blocks to enhance
> system stability and security.
>
> IF foreign language versions of Windows XP feature native language
> Command Line windows you would have to purchase and install that
> language's version of Windows XP. OS language versions could ONLY affect
> standard command names and help prompts anyway, as applications and
> batch files running in the Command Prompt window would have their own
> language capabilities or settings. An assortment of languages in the
> Command Prompt window would add the complication of English language
> batch files becoming incompatible with Command Prompt windows utilizing
> other languages, thus requiring different batch file versions for each
> language.
>
> Windows applications are typically written with powerfull development
> tools that simplify the task of a programmer willing to enable alternate
> languages for user prompts, help files and control labels. This applys
> to third party Windows computable applications and those that come with
> Windows. The combination of older, less sophisticated, development tools
> and the limited memory and storage resources available in older
> computers made multi language DOS applications less common.
>
> Separately installed applications would have independent foreign
> language versions or language options during installation.

And the answer to the person's question is hidden exactly where in the
above Address to the Nation/Sermon ? ;-)

Regards
Echy
Melbourne, Australia
www.visitvictoria.com
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 2:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

That is funny. Well, at least he tried. He gets an A for effort.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 12:19:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Jill in Thailand wrote:
> That is funny. Well, at least he tried. He gets an A for effort.
>
>


I agree.

Echy
!