Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do i need to reformat HD when doing a fresh install

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2009 8:22:21 PM

Stupid question:

I resinstalled win 7 today but forgot to format the drive beforehand - Basically when the setup screen appeared i deleted the existing partitions and created new ones but forgot to format either of them ( i was in a hurry). Seems to be running well and installed fine, the primary drive is shown empty. Can i just format the primary partition from windows or should i reinstall again to remove whatever is left of the old os by formatting before making a partition.

Thanks

More about : reformat fresh install

a b G Storage
November 11, 2009 5:55:10 AM

If you haven't installed any programs and such yet, I'd play it safe and just do a reformat. Doing so could potentially save you a some trouble down the line or even tomorrow. Again, that's me though. Others may disagree.
m
l
November 11, 2009 6:20:26 AM

Might be easier to just delete the partition.
A lot of the live Linux distro's have a partitioning program, I have had to use G parted twice today (Same reason). it's easy to use.
W7 will then partition and format when it installs.
JB
m
l

Best solution

November 11, 2009 2:16:53 PM

pastit said:
Might be easier to just delete the partition.
A lot of the live Linux distro's have a partitioning program, I have had to use G parted twice today (Same reason). it's easy to use.
W7 will then partition and format when it installs.
JB

deleting the partition does not remove the information stored on the HDD, if you have time i would recommend performing a full format.
Related resources
!