Crossfire 4870 on X48-DQ6=Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Seems I finally figured out the cause of all my latest crashes. I am able to run one 4870 just fine but if I plug in the other one my computer will freeze quite fast in desktop, even with crossfire disabled. It might be a BIOS problem or I am installing the other card incorrectly into the PSU.

I have a Corsair 1000W PSU, one 4870 is getting power from the two standard 8 pin pci-e power cables which leaves me with 4 8 pin pci-e slots left, two for 12V1 and two for 12V2. How should I plug in the power? Should I try changing power cables maybe?

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Anyone else heard of crossfire problems on the X48 board? Both cards work fine seperately in either port and PSU is fine so not sure what else is causing crossfire to freeze the system. PC is currently at the repair store so I hope they can find an explanation.

G

HI am having problems also upgraded vista from basic to premium and it seemed better for a little while after a crash i went to MS to sort problem but they just sent drivers to be installed in compatability mode, but did not say compatable with what??? (they were vista chipset drivers FGS) COD4 runs ok but fallout 3 is sure to crash seems to get stuck in a loop. and no i do not want to turn everything to off or minimum I paid to max it out not to turn features off, coming close to ra'ing the whole system' Core2E8500, CorsairTW3X4G1333C9DHX, Antec quattro 850, 2x Sapphire HD4870 512 ga-x48tdq6

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Bopper, what drivers are you using and did you do a full uninstall and then reinstall them when you added the second card? Not sure if that could be your problem but it is worth a shot before you do something like move on to looking at hardware issues.

I would also try to install the second card by itself to confirm that there isn't something wrong with that one if you haven't tried that yet.

In BIOS there isn't much that deals with the VGA card. You can set the display to look for PCI graphics and the other one which I think is in the MIT section, you can control the PCIe frequency. I found that I had to leave that on auto or else it wouldn't run xfire on my system.

Also make sure that in CCC you have the Catalyst A.I. enabled. You won't run xfire with it unchecked. Perhaps there is a bug there and it just freezes if it isn't checked. Who knows. If I uncheck mine, it will just not allow xfire to kick in...but no freezing.

Just a few things give you ideas. Good luck.

LoBi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Thanks mark just spent all day running each card individually playing fallout and they ran fantastic! I really didnt feel like going back to two cards as i was enjoying crash free play but i need to get this sorted, i got them both back in and fallout crashed after 4mins. am going to enable cat ai {other forums suggested leaving it off} and fiddle with a few settings in bios. wish me luck oh and everest ran ok all numbers double one card but the cards came up under debug and it missreported my chipset as x38 and not x48t as it is guess will take a while for benching programs to catch up to new hardware failing this will try 3d vantage and see what results are there.

LoBi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Success! CIA2 disabled performance boost to extreme and ram running at 1333 mhz 9.9.9. 24. 2T (its performance rating.} it doesnt solve the issue but narrows down the problem to a cpu bottle neck so it is either damaged from when the PSU failed (must have been a surge i thought a failed cap) or the board is damaged. need to by a second

junkmanj

Distinguished
May 15, 2009

Having the same problem with an Asus P53E Premium. One card works well but freezes with crossfire enabled. I send the 4670 cards back and they checked out fine. Eack card is connected to a separate rail of an Antec 850 w power supply. I'm wigged. If anyone figures this out, a post would be greatly appreciated.

LoBi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
havent had a crash lately the f6d bios for the GAX48TDQ6 and the 9.4 and 9.5 drivers from ATI seemed to have ironed out a lot of issues. The Fallout3 problem I had was resolved by running App windowed. Thing is it seems these HD4870 cards were wound really tight to start with, now if i try to overclock using Overdrive auto tune it overclocks the cards and almost immediatley I start a game i get severe memory leaks, Same thing happens when I let CIA2 overclock my system. I found with the 4870 that enabling Overdrive not overclocking clock or mem with fans @ 50% my temps stay in the 40's and only get the odd stutter. Have also manually overclocked the cards to 810mhz clock 910mhz memory without any problems just need to get CIA2 to play nice and I could end up with a nice system, Thing is am thinking PhenomII x4 755 and 790fx mobo because in realworld terms they are just as good as an i7 620 only about $800 bucks cheaper! I dont run sandra all day I play games. I could run this E8400 @ 4270MHz no problem but then I would need decent watercooling so I have a few decisions to make before the 2 grand I am expecting arrives till then am continuing to play with this till I can stablise the whole system
E8500 @<CIA2> Dual HD4870 @810MHzCLK 910MHzMEM GA-X48T-DQ6 CORSAIR TW2048X3-1600C9DHX LG HD/Blueray combo Viewsonic VX2223wm

ap487

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
It should be noted that when running a game in Windowed mode, it is not making use of CF, hence why you experience no troubles with Fallout 3.

I am having this same issue AFTER A CLEAN REINSTALL of Vista (same Gigabyte mobo but 2x4850s). I gave the computer to my wife as I got a new one and wanted her to have a clean slate. Unfortunately, however, she can only play with one card active.

I assume I'm missing a current driver somewhere, though I've triple checked, or the version of Catalyst I had before the reinstall just happened to work and I had not yet updated to the most current version before the reinstall. I am beyond frustrated at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.