Bad Dimm, need help

rconley80

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
I'm currently trying to upgrade my computer. I have a MSI K9VGM Motherboard, http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9VGM-V&class=mb I tried to intall 2 gigs of ram but one of the dimms seems to be defective. I tried different memory sticks and all I get when I try to turn on the computer is a series of long beeps. I've had the motherboard for over a year now so returning it is out of the question. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how to fix this problem. I can buy a whole new motherboard but I don't understand why a dimm that hasn't been used before is defective.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Okay, I'll have a go at this one lol

Firstly, what kind of RAM are you using? Your board is limited to 800MHz but I guess if one DIMM module is working, that rules out your mem freq being too high.
Initially, my guess would be that you have a faulty stick of RAM - return to your vendor, and have them test it on the spot in front of you. If the RAM works, then you have a faulty DIMM slot on your mobo, if not they are required to replace it by law. Sometimes faulty DIMMS are sold, but that's life I guess!

rconley80

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2008
Thanks for the reply. The ram I am using is corsair vs1gb667d2 . It's definately not the RAM I am using. I tried different memory sticks and all of them don't work on the Bad DIMM. They work perfectly fine on the DIMM that does work. I've been trying to mess around with the BIOS settings but I'm not sure where to start.

taskforcetiny

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Time for a new mobo unfortunately :-(
Any changes you make to your DIMMS will effect both, unfortunately there isn't seperate options for each that would render one useless. You COULD take your mobo to an electrician to repair the problem, but the cheaper solution would be to purchase a new mobo or RMA. Sorry for tha bad news!