Can a nokia 5165 phone be used with my cingular service.

Last response: in Network Providers
January 31, 2005 11:06:26 PM

I have a motorola t720 works great just wont ring anymore. So I brought a nokia 5165 off ebay ( they said it was used with cingular servcie as well) . So when I get the phone can I put my sim chip in it from my cingular motorola phone and it will work with the nokia 5165. Do I have to call cingular or should the phone jsut start working since it has my old chip in it.

thanks
gina

February 1, 2005 1:38:01 AM

Well according to phonescoop it's a TDMA phone and you need a GSM phone
so you have a place to put your SIM card. So you would have to get
Cingular to change your account to TDMA. That sounds really difficult.

Maybe it would br easier to buy a GSM phone, in which case you don't
have to do any more than put your SIM in it for it to work, assuming
it's 1. 850 mhz, or 850/1900 mhz and 2. either unlocked or originally
on Cingular.

good luck, steve

!