Sign in with
Your question

Problem booting from CD

Last response: in Components
August 28, 2008 9:21:21 PM

Hi

I have just built a new PC system (specs below) and i seem to be having a problme booting to my Vista OEM cd.

I previousley had 2 hard drives and 2 CD drives. But non of these seem to work. Ive put that down to age as they are now over 10 years old so maybe not compatible. Im trying to instal vista on the old hard drive but ive had these problmes

The first hard drive (1) the one that had my Old XP installation on works. However the system doesnt seem to boot from the CD. The drive opens etc. So all i get now is do you want to validate XP. but i cant because ive got a new system so the internet doesnt work and the installation key was on my old case and i havent had that for years.

The second hard drive when plugged in just gives that message again:
Boting HD1/2 Error
Booting HD1

Im not sure now how to get the Vista CD to run .Ive changed the boot order and both the hard drives are set up exactly the same but they still dont run well. Ive only got one of the Cd and one of the Hard drives plugged in at the moment just to be sure. Also the jumpers are fine as they are both being read as master and the ribbon cables only have 2 ends and they state which end should go were. Fionally i have it setup like the mobo instructions with hard drive in primary and CD in secondary i have tried it a different way round but no such luck. Any suggestions or do you think the hard drive/CD drive or mobo is broken down?. I dont mind buying a new one to much only if im sure it will work. Thanks

• Inno3D 9500GT 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium -SP1- Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 32-bit - English
  • Black 500W PSU - With 12cm Blue LED Fan 20+4pin 1x SATA 1x PCI-E http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129422
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor
  • Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler
  • Crucial 2GB kit (2x1GB) DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered
  • Asrock PENRYN1600SLI-110DB Nvidia 650i SLI Socket 775 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
  • More about : problem booting

August 28, 2008 9:38:43 PM

Do yourself a favour and buy a new SATA ODD for like $20 and try again.
    August 28, 2008 10:21:05 PM

Vista comes on a dvd, so by "cd" drive do you really mean cd-rom? If so you need a new optical drive.
    Related resources
    August 29, 2008 12:31:58 AM

^good point hehe
    August 29, 2008 7:32:17 AM

errr no lol i did mean DVD sorry about the confusion...it was late.

SO it seems to be the "DVD" drive that maybe bad nothing else?
    August 29, 2008 3:42:00 PM

yeah, i'd just pick up a new sata dvd drive off newegg.com, i think they range from $30-40
    August 29, 2008 3:54:39 PM

Thanks guys for you help im now sat here using Vista for the first time with a new DVD drive. Thanks
    !