Nas to Nas transfer

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
can i make 1 nas fransfer files to anothe nas without having to leave to PC on ?

both nas are WD mybookworld 2TB

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I see a netgear NAS can even download torrents - and I cant even tell min to transfer files to another NAS with no PC - crazy - lol

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
The whole idea behind a NAS is that it is network attached, not pc attached (or direct attached, I believe). As long as both are connected to the network, the transfer should be good to go.

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I know I'm a bit thick, but could you tell me how to do it. At the moment I am using a windows pc and cut/paste the files from one nas to the other. Thing is if I shut the pc down the transfer stops. These are massive files that total 100Gb and the pc says it's going to take 5 days, hence I would like nas to nas with no pc and then it can take as long as it likes

TIA

ump.

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
They have just released a new firmware with torrent support, thats not bad but I still have to use the PC to move files from one NAS to the other, and the problem is that even tho imon a gigabit network, these drive are slow, sometimes it slows to 1MB a second, and reports 5 days to compete - this is crap!

Umpa2010

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Just for the record, you can't do it. There is a copy manager built in to the device, but it's only for copying files from the USB port on the device. All file transfers must be done via a computer.

On another note, the performance is not bad after all. When transering large files I hit speeds from 7MB/s to 20MB/s and that's megabytes not megabits. Just so you know transfering files from one partition to another on a quad core pc only reaches 35MB/s.

Ok so what's bad ? Well for starters the drive does not like to move thousands of small files, that's when the drive hits 2KB/s transfer rates (I don't know why)

The drive has random lockups, which you have to pull the power for. I don't know why it can do it at anytime it feels like it (latest firmware).

Time will tell if it's a good investment or a White elephant.