Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 OC Issues

Last response: in Overclocking
July 14, 2009 1:41:03 PM

So, although I have overclocked before on several occasions I suppose you could still call me a novice. I'm currently running an XFX 780i board w/ a Q6600 w/ G0 Stepping which should be pretty overclockable. I'm also using a Xigmatek HST1283 in an Antec 900 Case cooled by 4 120mm's and a 200mm fan (3 120's on intake, 120 + 200 exhaust). I had previously done a mild overclock w/ a 1500MHz bus and an 8x CPU multiplier w/ voltages on Auto but now I'm itching for more. Last night I lowered the FSB to 1440 but upped the multiplier to 9 and left the voltages on Auto which resulted in a CPU-Z reported core voltage of 1.400v which dropped to 1.368v under load. Problem is, I've been told that's too high and also, after I left Prime95 running for 10 hours with no errors I came back and checked temps (using HWMonitor) and they were at 91C which is WAY hotter than they should be. I can't figure out why temps would be that high given that my CPU cooler is widely considered one of the best. Help please!

EDIT: I got the name of the cooler wrong it's the HDT S1283. Tom's included it in an article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cooler-charts,1...

More about : q6600 issues

July 14, 2009 2:01:05 PM

I found another forum that talks about this here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1254002 and they're talking about being concerned over 60c! I'm beginning to think I installed the cooler wrong but I don't know how I could've possibly done that, I may be an OC novice but I've built PLENTY of computers. Also, I should mention I used Artic Silver 5 as the thermal grease.
July 14, 2009 2:04:29 PM

Hi,
I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.4GHz. I'm a relative novice too but think I can help. I wouldn't leave voltages on auto as it usually overvolts, for instance I have a Vcore of 1.36875 in BIOS for a higher OC.

With regards to your temps: 1. They are impressive! 2. That temp will likely come down when you sort the volts.

CPU coolers are a law unto themselves as so many other factors affect their performance. I'm sure your temps will look a lot better when you button down the volts to minimum needed to be stable.
Good luck
AC :D 
Related resources
July 14, 2009 2:14:13 PM

ac3144 said:
Hi,
I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.4GHz. I'm a relative novice too but think I can help. I wouldn't leave voltages on auto as it usually overvolts, for instance I have a Vcore of 1.36875 in BIOS for a higher OC.

With regards to your temps: 1. They are impressive! 2. That temp will likely come down when you sort the volts.

CPU coolers are a law unto themselves as so many other factors affect their performance. I'm sure your temps will look a lot better when you button down the volts to minimum needed to be stable.
Good luck
AC :D 

Yeah, I do need to do that, this was just my first stability test at these clock speeds, I just thought those temps were WAY even for how high the voltage was.

EDIT: I also neglected to mention that my idle temps were ~44C if that enlightens anyone...
July 14, 2009 2:22:47 PM

Hi,
I found with my Q6600 that there is a sort of 'voltage hill' that if you go above about 1.4v you fall down the other side into solar flare like temperatures.

It's a game of diminishing returns unless you have water, the more I try to push my CPU over 3.4GHz the more disproportionate the rise in temperature I see. For a 200MHz OC to 3.6 the temperatures idle in the high 50's and would boil the oceans on a Prime95 test if I let it, whereas at 3.4 they sit at about 40c maxing in the mid 60's on Prime. I'm sat atop my voltage hill at 3.4 :D 

There is a post somewhere about the exponential rise in temp per voltage increase but I have forgotten where it is but there might be something in Computronix's excellent guide but I don't have time to look at the mo.

Good luck though, it's bloody addictive this overclocking lark isn't it!
AC
July 14, 2009 2:24:15 PM

Sorry just re-read your last post; yeah your idle temps are high, what are you using to monitor temps? Looks like it's time to reseat the cooler! Oh the joy!
AC
July 14, 2009 2:47:57 PM

ac3144 said:
Sorry just re-read your last post; yeah your idle temps are high, what are you using to monitor temps? Looks like it's time to reseat the cooler! Oh the joy!
AC

Well I was using CoreTemp but I switched to HWMonitor since it also showed GPU and chipset temps, it's on CPUID's website if you wanna take a look. And that's interesting about the voltage hill, and makes sense. I'll reseat the cooler and start lowering the voltages and keeping my fingers crossed.
July 15, 2009 2:09:42 PM

Well, I reseated the cooler. It didn't feel out of place and it was still snug but there WAS a lot of dust build-up that I blew out. I also lowered the BIOS core voltage to 1.400 which lowered actual idle voltage to 1.352 and that lowered temps substantially. Idle temp were 39-40C and after running Prime95 for 2 hours they had only reached 65C...but it ONLY ran for 2 hours before locking up so I upped the voltage 1.360 actual and it's running now...
July 15, 2009 2:44:35 PM

Getting there then you think? Good luck peddling up your voltage hill :D 
AC
!