Static Electricity Question?

G

Uh help me please!
Today I just received my new RAM, and this is the first system I'm building.

I opened the packaging, and without thinking, touched the part of the RAM that isn't the circuitry, the hard plastic/metal part.

Would I know if I had a static shock or is there static that I would not feel?

I'm kind of panicky, please help! :cry:

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
You shouldn't have any problems. I highly doubt that you did much/any damage. (if so your system just won't reconize the bad RAM)

And yes, you would know if you zinged, or zapped it. (you'd feel it, ie shuffle your feet on carpet and touch anything metal/person)

G

Okay, thanks.
I'm just hoping there isn't anything like a passive shock that you can't feel.
:p

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's receiving static charge even if you don't feel it. Although usually it should be fine if it's only a finger and it's not powered.

If it's powered, it'll likely damage the ram. Or if it's unpowered and you touch it with high static object like a duster or plastic sheet.

G

Well, it was unpowered, in the packaging, and just my finger.
I hope it'll be fine. Don't scare me lol.
I''ll just return it if there's any problems.

clarkbark

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Few years ago I put a computer together but it wouldn't turn on after completion. I opened it up to find I had the power button wire flip around. I went to turn it around and without being grounded I touched the motherboard. I felt a big zap between the motherboard and my figure. I had the computer plugged in too. After the zap the computer turned on with just the static. Luckily I didn't break anything.

alucard4824

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
People kind of exaggerate the whole static thing. I mean YES it CAN damage components, but unless you like shuffling your feet on carpet for an hour before touching computer parts youll probably be fine. But on the safe side an easy thing to do is work on yoru computer on the ground and just touch the outer metal part of the case and it will discharge any static electricity safely, and youll be good to go.