Sign in with
Your question

Issues with computer (possibly)

Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2008 5:55:57 AM

Hi, I am new to this website but my dad before he passed away recommended it and said that people here are smarter then the average bear, so I figured I'd give a try and get some help.

So over the summer I worked before I went back up to college to build a new computer. So I bought most parts and put it together (my first time ever doing this, with a bit of help).

Anyways so when I ran 3Dmark06 my score came out to be 2353, pretty crappy I know. So I have no idea why it is this bad score, here are my specs and if you need anymore information I will be glad to tell you to the best of my knowledge.

Cpu: Q9300 core 2 quad 2.5
MotherBoard: Asus Striker II formula
Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Graphics card: ATI X800 XT PCIe (ordered a 8800 gs, on its way :) )
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Xi-Fi Xtreme Audio.
Fans: 2 80mm and 1 120 mm (going to add 2 more 80 mm to pull air in)

I am new to this I just need ideas on what I could do to make it better. I first assumed it could be my video card since its not dx10 support but that card isnt too shabby for its era.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

August 29, 2008 6:24:31 AM

It sounds fine (the 8800 will help). 3D Mark is not the best program to use (real world performance is still better than 3D Mark), and ATI cards are known to be terrible in 3D Mark (don't know why). Just be sure to run Driver Cleaner, ect to remove all the old ATI drivers and CCC before installing the 8800.
August 29, 2008 6:43:51 PM

sweet. Thank you very much.
August 29, 2008 6:59:32 PM

Agreed, don't hold too much stock in those synthetic or quick 3D tests System performance really counts when you use it for what it is intended.

The card you have isn't to shabby but it is out of date.
Also the 64-bit os may have some significance and 3D Games tend to run better on the core 2 duo CPU's. (8400 series)

And
Related resources
!