AMD fanboy, considering going to the darkside

I'm building a new PC in a few weeks now, and I was going to go with AMD, because I want to support them (poor bastards).
Well, I'm about to crack, I've seen how bad the phenoms are, I've seen how well the C2s OC, and how they perform better at stock. I also am guessing that nehalem will kick major ass. My original plan was to get one of those cheap AMD dual cores, and OC to about 3.2ghz, then buy a 45nm deneb when they come out. My guess is the denebs will finally be on par with the C2s, clock for clock. But wait, nehalem is coming out, bringing big improvements. So I might go for an intel build, because its just way more bang for the buck.

Here is the proposed AMD build:

AMD X2 5000 BE - $100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103194

MSI K9A2 Platinum - $150
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136

HD 4870 - $310

G. Skill 2x2gb DDR2 1066 - $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Xigmatek HDT S1283 - $37
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V PSU - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Western Digital Caviar 640gb HDD - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Sony NEC SATA DVD burner - $23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118012

AC MX-2 thermal compound - $7

Total: $937 before shipping and rebates (I don't count rebates in the overall price)

Now my proposed intel build:

Q6600 OEM - $195

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - $108
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128345

HD 4870 - $310

G. Skill 2x2gb DDR2 1066 - $105
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Xigmatek HDT S1283 + retention bracket - $44
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V Power Supply 100 - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703005

Western Digital Caviar 640gb HDD - $90
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

Sony NEC SATA DVD burner - $23
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118012

AC MX-2 thermal compound - $7

Total: $997 before shipping and rebates

Notes: I already have the Antec 900 which I got on sale at Fry's for $75. I do intend to overclock either build, and I want excellent stability for a few years, which is why I chose the rather expensive PC P&C silencer. I want to get 3.2-3.4ghz out of the AMD build, and 3.2ghz minimum (3.4-3.6 would be ideal) for the intel build. That is also why I chose DDR2 1066. I also heard the P45 chipset overclocks well, and I have seen a lot of recommendations for the gigabyte DS3L boards. I don't care for crossfire, so no X48 for me. In addition to the WD 640gb HDD, I have a samsung HD501 LJ. I will use the WD 640gb as the OS drive, and the Samsung as extra storage (currently, I have it filled with tons of media files). I also already have vista ultimate 64 bit. I am also throwing the Creative X-fi platinum sound card I already have into the mix.

I think thats about it, I'm seriously leaning for the intel build, its faster, provides more overclockability, all for only $60 more. I might also go for more tightly timed DDR2 800 on the intel build, since its cheaper and all thats necessary. Give me your thoughts and criticisms please. And remember one thing, I plan on keeping this for about 3 years or more, so future proof is a must, and I feel I accomodate for that with the Q6600.

EDIT: I game @ 1920x1200, I do some CAD work as well. And I'll be running a second monitor @ 1280x1024.
33 answers Last reply
More about fanboy darkside
  1. Only thing I'm not sure of is how well that mobo OCs, should I spend extra on a P45 with a better southbridge?
  2. Go withe the P45, if you plan to crossfire get the X38 or X48.
  3. shadowthor said:
    Go withe the P45, if you plan to crossfire get the X38 or X48.

No crossfire for me.
  4. Come to the dark side. We have FAST.
  5. Yeah, I'm throwing out AMD for now. I heard you also have cookies on the dark side?

6. The icing tastes like blue.
  7. LMAO
  8. I'm in, since the icing tastes like blue.

Now, question on the motherboards. Should I go for something a little more expensive, like the ASUS P5Q, which has the ICH10R southbridge, or the GA-DS3L I proposed which has the ICH10. I guess what I'm wondering is, will either one make a big difference in overclocking capabilities?
  9. With your intel board, do NOT install the energy saver software(when it tries to save power your overclocks will suffer).

And remember all cpus clock differently. My Q6600 tops at 3.5(not pushing voltage to go farther), but i settled on 3.0 since the extra 500mhz cost me nearly 100 watts more.
  10. Im not sure what the debate is about here?

Why not buy a relatively cheap amd duel core, set up expecially if you already have ram and other transferable components and oc it?

Buy the video card you want.

THEN....

when the Nehalem comes out that you speak of some time next spring or summer (for most mainstream desktop apps) really fork out the cash to step into your Vader Gear.
    Cause any component you buy now that is intel will be useless for a nehalem setup.
  11. nukemaster said:
    With your intel board, do NOT install the energy saver software(when it tries to save power your overclocks will suffer).

And remember all cpus clock differently. My Q6600 tops at 3.5(not pushing voltage to go farther), but i settled on 3.0 since the extra 500mhz cost me nearly 100 watts more.

Ok, cool. Energy isn't a big concern of mine. I just hope a get one of the Q6600 that like to clock past 3.2ghz.

So I should probably just stick with the GA-EP45-DS3L? It looks like a solid board to me.
  12. Razorbladehaze said:
    Im not sure what the debate is about here?

Why not buy a relatively cheap amd duel core, set up expecially if you already have ram and other transferable components and oc it?

Buy the video card you want.

THEN....

when the Nehalem comes out that you speak of some time next spring or summer (for most mainstream desktop apps) really fork out the cash to step into your Vader Gear.
    Cause any component you buy now that is intel will be useless for a nehalem setup.

No thanks. I'm in college and I don't have that much money to throw into a nehalem set up.
  13. I understand your dilemma in the cash Dept.

But why even mention Nehalem in the original post then?

Additionally I would recommend the following strategy to keep costs down...

If you have a decent current rig only upgrade the video card...
    then wait it out for nehalem.

Overall upgrade Case, mobo, cpu, and memory on even years or every other year. Then upgrade, video, sound card, psu, on odd years.
    Only upgrade HDD or CD/dvd/optical drives when something breaks or a new technology hits the right price range.
  14. dont build an AMD system
  15. Razorbladehaze said:
    I understand your dilemma in the cash Dept.

But why even mention Nehalem in the original post then?

Additionally I would recommend the following strategy to keep costs down...

If you have a decent current rig only upgrade the video card...
    then wait it out for nehalem.

Overall upgrade Case, mobo, cpu, and memory on even years or every other year. Then upgrade, video, sound card, psu, on odd years.
    Only upgrade HDD or CD/dvd/optical drives when something breaks or a new technology hits the right price range.

My current rig is a POS. Its a S939 AGP system, with 2gb DDR 333 and A64 3500+. Its slow as balls in vista 64. I mentioned nehalem because AMD is supposed to release the 45nm phenoms when nehalem is out, which is why I was going for a cheap AMD dual core initially. However, the current C2Qs already perform better and OC better than the phenoms, which are like hotplates. 45nm will bring improvements that should bring them on par with current intel chips, but its too little too late. I will be keeping this rig for a few years, and I can't stand my current set up any longer so C2Q it is. I'll probably do a minor upgrade later, but for now, this intel rig I'm getting should suit me well.
  16. Dude! FLUSH this whole AMD loyality bit.

You are a consumer. Buy the best product period.

You are not going to be able to save the company as long as Hector is at the helm. The best thing you could do for AMD is not to buy from them so they will get him out of there faster.

I made the same mistake that you are about to make 18 months ago and I bought AMD/ATI in order to support AMD. I so wish I had bought a Core2Duo now. Major regrets.

I am building a new computer for my wife in the next few months and it will have an Intel Core2Duo processor in it. If I can overcome it, you can too.

If you want to support AMD buy an ATI 48XX series card because frankly those cards are the best product on the market right now and are very worthy of your hard earned dollars.
  17. Board choice is going to be a personal thing.

The asus board cost a bit more, but they have a stronger voltage system(and the inclusion of an 8 pin cpu power plug for more current handling) 2 more sata ports and firewire.

I have a P5W DH Deluxe board that does not overclock well, but it was just bad luck and its hard to send a board back over its overclocking.

In your position the P5Q would be on my list just for the few extra features(only because i would use them). I still have no regrets for my Gigabyte board(the cpu auto fan speed works very well), it does use less power then my P5W(premium boards have more on them and take more power)
  18. rwayne said:
    Dude! FLUSH this whole AMD loyality bit.

You are not going to be able to save the company as long as Hector is at the helm. The best thing you could do for AMD is not to buy from them so they will get him out of there faster.

I made the same mistake that you are about to make 18 months ago and I bought AMD/ATI in order to support AMD. I so wish I had bought a Core2Duo now. Major regrets.

I am building a new computer for my wife in the next few months and it will have an Intel Core2Duo processor in it. If I can overcome it you can do.

If you want to support AMD buy an ATI 48XX series card because frankly those cards are the best product on the market right now and are very worthy of your hard earned dollars.

Its hard for me, but I'm getting intel. If you saw my builds, I'm getting the 4870. Period.
  19. doomturkey said:
    Its hard for me, but I'm getting intel. If you saw my builds, I'm getting the 4870. Period.
    It was hard from me going through the withdrawls of fanboyism too. It is a horrible mental disorder that afflicts hundreds of thousands of PC builders worldwide annually.

I think the turning point of my recovery was the recent purchase of my AMD 5000BE which I currently have running at 3.1 GHz. The speed I was looking for just isn't there and AMD really has no offerings better than that.

So I am at an end point right now. I am going to keep what I got right now and wait for Nelheim in 2009.
  20. definitely get the 4870. Q6600 for sure, i just got one myself. 3.2GHZ stable easily, didn't even have to tweak. I personally have been using ASUS boards and its been good for me. I am using a P5Q Deluxe and its really reliable, max Vdrop is 0.0500v. I got my friend the P5Q not sure how it overclocks for Quads but he OCed his e6600 to 3.0 no problem, which means should be able to OC Q6600 to atleast 3.0 but i am very certain that it will go past 3.0 easily. P45 is ok for Crossfire, it does have 8x link crossfire speed but it shouldn't affect 48xx series crossfire too much, maybe a difference of 5%. But yeah, definitely go for intel + 4870, best option no matter what.
  21. Night-Stalker said:
    definitely get the 4870. Q6600 for sure, i just got one myself. 3.2GHZ stable easily, didn't even have to tweak. I personally have been using ASUS boards and its been good for me. I am using a P5Q Deluxe and its really reliable, max Vdrop is 0.0500v. I got my friend the P5Q not sure how it overclocks for Quads but he OCed his e6600 to 3.0 no problem, which means should be able to OC Q6600 to atleast 3.0 but i am very certain that it will go past 3.0 easily. P45 is ok for Crossfire, it does have 8x link crossfire speed but it shouldn't affect 48xx series crossfire too much, maybe a difference of 5%. But yeah, definitely go for intel + 4870, best option no matter what.

P5Q it is.
    I won't be doing any crossfiring, so that is not a concern for me.

I just hope AMD gets it together, the AMD 64 architecture was great for its time and got intel to get rid of those awful P4 processors. For now, two dual core conroes taped together is fine by me. Especially since they happen to be faster than AMDs native quads.
  22. Yeah go with the Q6600 build I did and I'm happy with it.
  23. doomturkey said:
    P5Q it is.
    I won't be doing any crossfiring, so that is not a concern for me.

I just hope AMD gets it together, the AMD 64 architecture was great for its time and got intel to get rid of those awful P4 processors. For now, two dual core conroes taped together is fine by me. Especially since they happen to be faster than AMDs native quads.

I still use my A64 3200+ :)

The Q6600 is amazing when you think of the performance per watt(with the right software). Bashes my E6600 in video encoding.
  24. Small note:

Sony/Nec Optiarc drives blow

Go for the samsung SH-S203B instead, you will be very very happy.
  25. Yeah im looking at putting a Q6600 in my system too and I have to say the only thing that looks better is one of those quad core wolfdales... that whole 45nm thing.... *drools* but I think the cheapest one is like 500$ *sobs*

Now your training is complete, Jedi knight.... *cackles*
  26. skittle said:
    Small note:

Sony/Nec Optiarc drives blow

Go for the samsung SH-S203B instead, you will be very very happy.

I barely use my drive, I doubt I'll even end up burning anything. But sure, why not, if its a little better.
  27. JonathanDeane said:
    Yeah im looking at putting a Q6600 in my system too and I have to say the only thing that looks better is one of those quad core wolfdales... that whole 45nm thing.... *drools* but I think the cheapest one is like 500$ *sobs*

Now your training is complete, Jedi knight.... *cackles*

Correct me if i'm wrong, but arn't Wolfdales the new dual core Core 2 Duo (ie E7000-E8000 series)?

If memory serves (and a bit of google-ing :P), Yorkfields are the next gen Quads at 45nm.

Where do you live that the cheapest one is $500?

Up here with us Canucks, you can get a Q9300 for about $293 bucks before tax.

Just curious, is all :)
  28. I'm not 100% sure but I think Yorkfields are the Penryn quad cores.
  29. Microcenter often has the Q9450 for $300. That's $15 under tray price! That's where I got mine, and I have no qualms. It's much cooler than any Q6600 ever was or will be on air.
  30. rwayne said:
    Dude! FLUSH this whole AMD loyality bit.

I am building a new computer for my wife in the next few months and it will have an Intel Core2Duo processor in it. If I can overcome it you can do.

+1 for you sir. We don't buy names, and names don't power our computer. Buy the better piece of hardware regardless who makes it. I've been an Nvidia/AMD fanboy since the MX400 series, but ATI and Intel are both showing a number of excellent choices in the PC market place. Go with what is best screw corporations they are out to make money from you and that's it.
  31. Preclude said:
    +1 for you sir. We don't buy names, and names don't power our computer. Buy the better piece of hardware regardless who makes it. I've been an Nvidia/AMD fanboy since the MX400 series, but ATI and Intel are both showing a number of excellent choices in the PC market place. Go with what is best screw corporations they are out to make money from you and that's it.

Thank you for the compliment. I had a hard time getting over the loyality bit. A true 'intelligent' gamer will flush their pride go for the best hardware period reguardless of the company. I could not do that 18 months ago, however I would do it in a nanosecond today.
  32. Maybe I am a little stupid here, but isnt the AMD 9850 X4 just 5-8% slower than Q6600. And it comes at 205$ on the egg. Watcha say dark ppl??
  33. Where i live the Q6600 is still cheaper and uses less power.

I buy whats best for me at the time. this round it was intel

Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Systems Product