Ripping my hair out over temps!!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Ripping
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
August 29, 2008 6:25:10 AM

I have a E8400 running at stock speed on a Gigabyte P45 MB with a Freezer 7 installed with AC5

Cooler - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Auto fan control is ON, so the CPU cooler runs between about 1400-2000 RPM's.

According to BIOS and the general 'CPU' temp in CPUID, I am running at 38C at idle.

However, CPUID shows CORE 0 and 1 at 42-48 at idle, and 60 under load (both cores at 100%).

Room is 27C.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!???

I just ripped the cooler off, cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol, applied more (but not too much I think) AC5 than before (when I took it off, the base of the cooler was only about 1/2 covered with AC5). Really didn't change the temps. I was a little lite on the AC5 before, and went just a little heavier.

FWIW, I just tried the system at 3.6GHz. and the temps went up by about 8-10C overall (high 60's under load). It was stable running Prime95 for about 30 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, from what I have read, my temps are too high, but at the same time, everything seems to be working well. So on one hand, the computer works, even with 20% OC. However, I doubt I could get 30C idle when my bedroom is 27C and there is hot RAM, ATI 4850, etc. heating up the air the fan is using!

Am I not doing something right? All the tabs on the cooler are FULLY inserted into the motherboard.

Is there something wrong with the cooler which is causing it to not fully come in contact with the CPU?

Is everything fine?

I just don't know, can you guys throw me a bone?

Thanks!

More about : ripping hair temps

August 29, 2008 6:39:01 AM

Calm down, your temps are fine. If you were closer to 90c I'd get worried. (go with the CPUID temps) But if you are that worried about your temps, pick up something like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5502/cpu-zal-26/Zalma...

Disabling Speedfan, and auto fan control will also help.
August 29, 2008 6:44:27 AM

Thanks, I am getting a little paranoid and just want to know if there is a real problem, or just one in my head.

I just read these 'cockoff' reviews about how people are getting these mega-low temps and all that, and either their house is cold (again, its very warm in my house), they are using a great cooler, or they are full of it.

Also, as I just reapplied the AC tonight, should I expect things to cure in the next few days and drop things a hair more?
Related resources
August 29, 2008 6:45:46 AM

By putting more AC5 on you are increasing the distance between HS and CPU. You want a thin coating, not a thick one. So I'd look at that first. Also, make sure you have a tight contact at all four connecting pins which in itself would ensure even thermal paste spread.

Secondly, internal heat will always contribute to higher temps unless you get creative and try and seperate the CPU from everything underneath.

Also, most thermal pastes will take some time to settle in and work at its most efficient temps.

Lastly - you have a temp reading on the metal plate and then one per core. The cores will always read much higher than the common reading off the plate. So, 38C shows the heat from both cores spread over the metal plate. At 27C ambient, I doubt if you can actually go lower than 38C considering internal temps. You might also want to ensure that your power profile is set to portable/laptop (in desktop, right click, screen saver, power, power schemes) - that will ensure that the Vcore and the frequency is stepped down during idle or low task scenarios's - note that the BIOS also has to be set (intel speed step of something like that).
August 29, 2008 6:55:26 AM

I have the same board. It was reporting high temperatures. I ordered new parts and I'm going to put them in tomorrow and hope they improve my temperatures. If not, I guess it could be the motherboard. I'm using a Q6600 by the way. It will be interesting to see.

Those temps weren't as bad as mine though. I was in the 60s at idle. ><
August 29, 2008 6:57:10 AM

Great info, thanks.

That is what was throwing me off. I see a low 'TEMP' then a much higher CORE 0 and 1 temp. When people are bragging about their temps at idle and such, I assume they are generally using the smaller number?

I have been 'trained' to barely put any AC5 on the surface for the reasons you say. Its just a way to bridge that 0.01mm gap between the processor and the cooler. Less is more.

I have used AC5 on 2 laptops, 3 CPU's, 2 NB chipsets, a video card, and who knows what else when I was drunk. All times I cleaned well with alcohol and applied a VERY thin layer, and all times it worked well. I guess I was expecting this CPU to basically run at room temperature.
August 29, 2008 7:00:00 AM

darksied said:
I have the same board. It was reporting high temperatures. I ordered new parts and I'm going to put them in tomorrow and hope they improve my temperatures. If not, I guess it could be the motherboard. I'm using a Q6600 by the way. It will be interesting to see.

Those temps weren't as bad as mine though. I was in the 60s at idle. ><

Yikes! Best of luck with the new parts, I hope they work!

Truth is, I don't really care about the temps, I just want to know I did things right and its running as cool and efficient as possible.

Also, is it normal for CORE 0 to run hotter? I assume it handles all the single-core stuff?
August 29, 2008 7:07:35 AM

You should also take into consideration that the pure readings go through the motherboards circuitry and after that it goes through software to show what you are running at.

So, if I take a sensor on the CPU, pass it through circuitry and convert it to something viewable in software, then it's plausible that you might get higher or even lower readings. It differs greatly from mobo to mobo and some manufacturers will actually doctor the readings.

On one of my Asus board I got like a 7C change (higher to lower) just through a BIOS update.

And as for what people use for their temp readings - doing heavy testing they normally cite the one common reading followed by Core 0 and 1. Core 0 and 1 will go lower if the heatsink can dissapte the heat fast but it will generally show high temps - remember that at this point little heat transfer happens while the common reading is between the heatsink and cores. For your reference and that what Intel uses as a guideline for min and max temps - the common point is your focus area. The Core readings is a bonus and I only find it usefull for checking that my thermal paste is spread evenly when using 100% load on each core.
August 29, 2008 7:22:16 AM

So Intel says about 75C is the threshold, and that is not CORE, but the 'general' reading? Could that mean if the general reading was 75C, the cores might actually be at 90, 100C and it would still be safe?
August 29, 2008 8:16:01 AM

Intel uses Tc as the measuring point which is the dead center on the IHS and as such the common reading.
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2008 2:54:39 PM

I've found BIOS reading not to be accurate. Download and run Realtemp and post results.
August 29, 2008 5:04:09 PM

gamerk316 said:
I've found BIOS reading not to be accurate. Download and run Realtemp and post results.

At idle, it shows 37/32C
!