urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Ok so ive been thinking of building a new system lately just cause my rig is gettin pretty outdated, i mean it had a good run. Although i dont wanna do a total revision cause Nehalem and all that is comin out soon, so i was thinking this is what i hve, maybe an upgrade will do.

A8N32-Sli Deluxe
6800GS
AMD 3800 X2 (slot 939)
Corsair, DDR Ram, not 100% on speed, but at the time, it was pretty top end.. so it should be easy to overclock.
i have a pretty good PSU as well OCZ 650 Watt i think? its served me well

Anyways my plan is to buy a 4870 and replace the 6800GS and then buy a big heatsink, like an Ultra 120 Extreme and 2 Scythe Hiflow Fans (Volume not an issue- Cooling is).

My question is, with this CPU overclocked to pretty high, ive heard that this series of CPU OC's well, will my system still be way bottlenecked? this is a temp solution so that when X58/Nehalem all comes out and the new slot then i can buy the rest of my parts and get a second 4870.

am i being stupid and should just wait?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well you will have to remember that will be mid 2009 before Nehalem is cost effective.

When the CPUs first come out Q4 08 you are looking at $999+ for the CPU.

Remember Nehalem also will require DDR3 which is expensive compared to DDR2 by a large margin.

If you have the money to spend $3k for a Nehalem PC go for it. Otherwise, you might want to rethink that path.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i say wait.
patience is a virtue, and if nehalem will be as good as some say, you'll totally be happy you waited... and by then, we'll be far from the hd4000's and gtx200's...save your money..unless your loaded, than go splurge lol

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
waiting for mainstream nehalem cpus will be a while before they are mainstream prices unless one buys a dell, hp, etc, but that totally just kills the overclocking experience, and the difficulty of finding reasonably priced psu to replace when the psu dies, etc. Prices are apparently going to drop sometime by the end of the month on cpus, so might be a good time to build a temp system.

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
yeah i got a temp system in my for about $1300, and then i was going to crossover the GFX cards and Ram, but thats kinda pricey for a temp, i think ill just wait, i got a PS3 to hold me over... (dont flame i like PC gaming better) but sometimes you just gotta haha