Corrupted usb key...

vavix

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I recently had to reformat my pc and saved some files on my 16GB usb key before doing so. When I plugged it into my newly formatted PC and opened the folder I got this:
usbh.jpg

Whenever I click on one of those strangely renamed folders, I get: "G:\xxx\xxx.xxx is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."
For some strange reason, the pictures were saved successfully as you can see...
All the other files on the USB key work fine and this has never happened with the USB key before.
I got it from a no-brand Honk Kong manufacturer on eBay if that means anything.
Oh and I never use the "safely remove hardware" tray icon because removing stuff directly never caused me any problems up until now.
Just wondering if there are any tools/apps to recover these files.
Thanks.

Solution
1. ... removing hardware without "safe remove" is not a problem unless the device is in use ... and even so ... the damage will most surely occur only in the software (files)
2. ... and most important ... I got the same problem with one of my hdd's - by accident. What happened in my case was that the record area ... whare all the names and addresses are kept on the hdd was compromised - in result ... I got pretty much the same picture ... folders .. like you did. Some with names some with signs, some working and some not.

What I suggest you do is try to recover your files with a recovery software (there are plenty out there, I used "Easy Recovery Professional" - google for dwnld).
You get plenty of options there, including recovering...

dara

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
Dear Vivax, I don't know if you solved the problem but I faced the same one.... Pls let me know if you managed to recover / access the files. My USB is Kingston and the problem explanation is completely the same as yours: no such problem faced so far with this USB, it is also 16GB memory, I copied My Documents from my PC to USB and then tried to access them by plugging in my USB back onto my PC but all the subfolders and files were corrupted in a same way as yours: wierd names of the folders and files, none of them could be opened and the pop up message was the same as the one you received, checking the size of each subfolder and file under the properties I found out that the size was 0 bytes, when I drag over the subfolder I receive message FOLDER IS EMPTY but when I drag over the file name it says that the file size is 1GB, 2GB and similar although the properties say that file size is 0 bytes. On the other side, if I check the properties of the (aggregate) copied My Docs folder, it says that the size is 144 GB (!!) although the size of the USB is only 16GB....

In case you have not fixed the problem, I hope somebody can help us..,.,

Dara

m_arh

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
1. ... removing hardware without "safe remove" is not a problem unless the device is in use ... and even so ... the damage will most surely occur only in the software (files)
2. ... and most important ... I got the same problem with one of my hdd's - by accident. What happened in my case was that the record area ... whare all the names and addresses are kept on the hdd was compromised - in result ... I got pretty much the same picture ... folders .. like you did. Some with names some with signs, some working and some not.

What I suggest you do is try to recover your files with a recovery software (there are plenty out there, I used "Easy Recovery Professional" - google for dwnld).
You get plenty of options there, including recovering certain types of files or a whole structure (partition).

You can also try Total Commander for a quick alternative, but with less concluding results: select the drive then pres CTRL+B (clears the directory structure exposing all the files in the directories ... you can select what you want to recover or not - or what you recognize).

For a really easy fix (click to solve it) ... I don't think (know) of anything, and frankly don't think there is much you can do.

Sorry for my rubbish english and good luck.

Solution
G

Hi ,
I just got a brand new 8GB Transcend USB device and I am having exactly same problem, has anyone found any solution for this?

Thanks and Regards,
Koti.

zegeye

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

jhansi77

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
vavix wrote :

I recently had to reformat my pc and saved some files on my 16GB usb key before doing so. When I plugged it into my newly formatted PC and opened the folder I got this:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9722/usbh.jpg
Whenever I click on one of those strangely renamed folders, I get: "G:\xxx\xxx.xxx is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

i am not able to open files.

same problem hear ... can u please help me on this ...

thanks in advance
jhansi

M+AUDIO

Honorable
Feb 21, 2013
Hi Everyone!

I'm Exactly Have Same Problem With My Two Flash Drives . one is transcend 8GB And The Other one is Kingston 2GB .

My Win Is 7 x64

What is This ?
Is This A New Virus ?

I Also Try CHKDSK And Then Formatted The Flash But Today Same Problem Occurs Again !

I Use My Flash Drive As A backup Disc And This Problem Is Really :fou: !

Any New Solution ???