Sign in with
Your question

General PSU question

Last response: in Components
August 29, 2008 12:33:03 PM

I had to replace the power supply on a PC the other day. On the mobo it had 20-pin and 4-pin power connectors. The original PSU was a 250 watt PSU. I put in a new 380 watt PSU. It had the 20 and 4 pin connectors. But the computer would not power on with this new psu. I had purchased 2 of them. Neither worked. I don't think they were both defective, I believe it had something to do with the 4-pin connector. On the original psu, that connector had 2 black and 2 yellow wires going into it. And it could only be plugged in one way. On the new psu, the wires were yellow, orange, red and black. And I could get it to plug in from 2 different directions.

What could be wrong here? I was expecting this to be a simple replacement, since the old and the new psu's both had the 4 and 20 pin power connectors. I already got an RMA number to return the new PSU's, but before I buy 2 more, I need to clear this up for myself, so I don't buy 2 more that don't work.

Thanks in advance.

More about : general psu question

August 29, 2008 2:19:21 PM

OOOPS! Wrong 4way connector. That sounds like the one that slots up with the 20way socket to form a 24 way connector. Have another look, there should also be another 4way with the yellow and black leads. If not, you have got VERY old model PSU.

Mike.
a c 105 ) Power supply
August 29, 2008 2:45:21 PM

Mike's got it. The 4-pin connector you need is NOT the one that is adjacent to the main 20-pin connector. That is what is commonly referred to as a "20+4" arrangement. There should be a separate 4-pin connector for the CPU power connector.
Hopefully nothing on the mobo fried.
August 29, 2008 3:07:03 PM

mike99 said:
OOOPS! Wrong 4way connector. That sounds like the one that slots up with the 20way socket to form a 24 way connector. Have another look, there should also be another 4way with the yellow and black leads. If not, you have got VERY old model PSU.

Mike.

Doh!! You're frickin' right!!! Man, do I feel like a fool. I just looked at it again, and the "other" 4-pin connector is wrapped in with some other connectors.
I wondered what the black arrow was on both the 20 pin and the 4 pin connector. You're supposed to align them when using that for a 24 pin connection.

Well... I learned something new today!

Thanks
!