Sign in with
Your question

Is psu upgrade worth the money

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
August 29, 2008 2:59:56 PM

The manufacturer did'nt mention the power efficiency rating so, please help me to calculate the power efficiency.

The label on power supply contain the below table.

I want to lower my power bills
I bought this smps for $10.
Is it worth to replace this with a corsair vx450w ($80 at my place) to lower my electricity billls.
If yes, how much percentage of electricity i can save with it.
August 29, 2008 3:55:35 PM

A few assumptions but...

Assuming your average load is 200w, and the system is on for 12hrs a day, and assuming the old unit is 70% efficiant, the vx450w is 85%... then...

No brand unit uses 285W at wall, 1248.3 KWH per year

vx450w unit uses 235W at wall, 1029.3 KWH per year

Difference is 219 KWH per year, assuming $0.15 per KWH, it will take you 2 years 5 months to make up for the purchase cost...

But there are alot of assumptions there!!!
August 29, 2008 4:21:39 PM

jamesgoddard gave a reasonable estimate. it's impossible to calculate the efficiency from the data in the table. u need power out/power in measurements to calculate the efficiency.

u might want to replace it just to have a good quality psu, especially if u do gaming or anything that stresses the system much. the cheap psu might not be up to the task and cause stability problems or worse.
Related resources
August 31, 2008 11:50:50 PM

The Corsair 450 is only $70 shipped free plus $20 mail in at newegg right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I personally wouldn't put anything cheaper in just about any desktop right now. Well worth the upgrade not just to save money over time but for quality, stability and less heat then a generic.
September 1, 2008 12:19:35 AM

jamesgoddard said:
Assuming your average load is 200w, and the system is on for 12hrs a day, and assuming the old unit is 70% efficiant, the vx450w is 85%... then...

95% of the time you PC is on idle. An X6800 @ 2.93 GHz, 2GB of RAM, an HD, a DVD drive, and a SLI'ed GTX280 draws 203W from the wall socket on idle, according to TGH's review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-comp... I doubt he's running a system like that with a 400W PSU :heink: 

Your assumption is a bit high, unless he plays video games all the time. I would imagine he uses around 100W instead, give or take 20W. Buying a new PSU will hardly save the OP any money. Instead, use other power saving methods such as turning off the monitor when not in use. LCD monitors take up massive amounts of electricity and is thought to contribute a lot to global warming.
!