4870 HD Issue

striker0626

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I recently upgraded from a 1900xt and all ive had is nothing but problems. Whenever i load up a game it will play for a minute or two then it will pause and the screen will go black and moniter will turn off. I installed the 8.7 drivers and i have service pack 3. The thing is is that windows starts up and the desktop displays but it cant run any games.

Any help is much appreciated

striker0626

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Card is running 45c idle, and i unistalled the 8.7 and hotfix and used the disc drivers. My specs are AMD 4400+X2 @2.2ghz 3gb ram 500 wat psu.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Hmm...500W should be plenty. You have two 6-pin adapters plugged into it right? Make sure it is seated tightly in the mobo too. Does your system shut down or just your graphics card? If your entire system crashes, you might have a PSU dying on you. Do you have a different one that you can test out? What is the brand/model of the PSU? What is the wattage over the 12V rail? If it is just the graphics card shutting down, you might want to RMA it and try a different one.

I hate to say this but a 500W PSU is really not enough according to AMD.
Try this to check; boot up, get onto the net and just surf for a while, as this will not stress the GPU nor your PSU. If all is well, try playing a DVD movie, this will stress the GPU more-but not as much as gaming- as it will do most of the decoding. If all is well, try a game, but set it as LOW as possible, this will increase the GPU load and stress on the Psu more.
I suspect it will fail playing the movie, if it does, then I would strongly suspect your PSU needs to be upgraded

striker0626

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Yes I am able to watch videos and full length movies with out a problem. I also played urban terror and got the same result the moniter goes into power saving mode. I've tried the 8.7 drivers with no luck so its looking like the psu.

The card is snuggly fit into the Mobo and both 6 pins connecters are connected. The only thing that shuts off is the GPU and when it does the fan speeds up.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008

wats ur load temp? does ur fan speed up when gaming? sometimes the fan speed stays defult might want to manual change fan speed.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
When I installed the HD4870, my 7900GS drivers made a mess of it, even though I completely uninstalled them (with revo uninstaller).

I had to reinstall windows, and now I haven't had one lockup.

If that's a "500W PSU that came with my Case" that's your problem IMO, if it's a quality name brand one, fine might not be but the symptoms sound like it.

But if it's not corruption, it's not happening in low power 2D situation, it's just happening when you draw alot of power (thus heating up your PSU and making it less efficient and less able to handle the draw), it sounds very much like a PSU issue.

Heat and drivers would be more about corruption and errors IMO, not simply crashing to black.

try it running with your cae open and a fan blowing on the card to eleviate heat, but if that alone doesn't do it, it's likely your PSU IMO.
Also when you say you 'uninstalled' the old drivers, id you use something like driver cleaner pro or just go into the control panel and add/remove programs? Still don't think it's a driver issue, but you gotta get rid of old drivers completely, every last trace.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If your card is running 45 deg C at idle and you haven't manually upped the fan speed, something is seriously wrong with your card. The 4870 runs at 80 deg C at idle, +/- 5 deg C, with a fan speed of 26%.