Is it safe to Vacume

yaoiboimi

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I have been told that it isn't safe to vacuum :bounce: inside of a computer. Why is that? Using compressed air doesn't really work, it just moves the dust all over the place.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I vacuum all the time, but I use a small paint brush to bring the dirt and dust to the mouth of a dustbuster. Static can build during the running of a vacuum cleaner, so I think a dust buster is better.
I will start by getting as much of the dirt into an area at the bottom of the case to allow the dustbuster to pick it up.
If you are paranoid about all this you can buy a vacuum that has non static tools. 3M makes a very good one.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
When I took an A+ prep course the material says you should not to vacuum because static may buildup and discharge when you touch a component.

I've been vacuuming my PCs for years without a problem with a regular household vacuum. What I do is use a combination of compressed air and the vacuum, sometimes simultaneously. I always use an anti static mat and bracelet just in case and so far so good.

ik_ool

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
In addition to using compressed air, you should also invest in positive cooling (more air going in than coming out) so that less dirt builds up, especially if u live in dusty and deserty areas.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I actually ended up buying an Air compressor for my machine, bit of overkill maybe but it definetly does more than blow the air around the case, it gets rid of it. Still have to be a little careful or static and sometime condensation.

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I have always been told that using a vacuum near a computer creates a magnetic field that may harm hard drives. But this may just be an old wives tale.

I vaccume my rig once a month (5 intakes = dust). I usually use compressed air to knock everything losse, vaccume it all up, and vaccume the remaining bits of dust that won't come out.

All a vaccume is is a really big intake fan :D