8800GT problem! Guru needed at this point.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I'm having a terrible problem getting a Gigabyte 8800GT to work in my system. Can't get PC to post from a cold boot without the screen turning black. If I hit the reset button after the screen cuts out the PC will post and boot into Windows. Every so often the screen will turn pink while using the PC.

Previously I had the random black/pink screen issue, so I RMA'd the card. The card I got back was worse and I sent it in again. This time I have a card that, according to Gigabyte, survived their 24 hour stress test from hell and they are starting to seem reluctant to do much more. It has a problem with cold boots, but sometimes turns pink while using the PC.

Previous things I've tried:
Updated BIOS and drivers for everything I could think of.
Replaced 530 watt Raidmax PSU with an Antec Earthwatts 650
Tried a MSI GeForce 8400 in the PCI Express slot for 5 days. I didn't have a problem during this time.
Tried a 8800GS too but didn't get to keep it very long (6 hours) so I didn't think it was a good test.
Went to 2GB RAM and swapped around my 4 sticks to test memory. Still didn't help.

I have a PCI GeForce 5200FX I use while the card is in RMA land and I don't have problems during this time either.

Could there be some compatibility issue in my system or is Gigabyte giving me the run around on this card?

PC Specs:
Windows XP 32-bit (Recent install)
Asus P5K SE
Intel E8200
Kingston HyperX PC 8500 1GB x 4 (I know... 32-bit OS, but got a deal on 4GB and right now I have 2GB in to test stability)
Gigabyte 8800GT NX88T512HP
Antec Earthwatts 650
WD 320GB HD
Samsung DVDR

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
OK, when it happened again I powered off the system and left it unplugged for a minute. Hooked it back up and hit the power button. This time the PC started, then it kinda hung, powered itself off/on and then proceeded to boot. The screen cut out during post again.

I can't see anything on the screen, but it acts like the PC posts fine (i get one beep) and the HD light flashes like Windows is loading. If I wait too long to hit the reset button to get the screen back, I will get the message that there was an interruption while Windows was loading. So I don't think the PC just hangs from a cold boot and does nothing.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Switched DVI ports and ran with it for a little. Ran from a cold boot a couple of times and here is what happened.

1st cold boot: Computer went through post and into Windows just fine. About 10 minutes of web browsing, the screen cut out and went black. After rebooting the PC worked fine for hours until I turned it off.

2nd cold boot: The PC posted and booted into Windows. After about 10 minutes the screen cut out. This time it didn't go completely black. The whole screen started to flicker like it was showing every other frame. The computer was still running just fine so I had Windows reboot and then I didn't have another problem.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Could be 2 things: heat or unstable power.

If it's heat, the gpu is heating up after 10 mins to the point it starts to malfunction. You need to improve the case cooling. Or use a program to control gpu fan speed:

http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner2/

If it's unstable power, it's the psu. Try another PCI-E cable. Or even another psu. Or stick this card in a friend's/neighbor's pc for 1 hour.

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I kinda doubt that the PSU is causing a problem as this is the 2nd PSU in the system. I don't think it's a heat problem either as I have a 120mm and a 80mm case fan circulating air. It doesn't even make sense that the card would over heat within the first 10 minutes but then run stable for hours while I surf or game after a reboot.

I think I just have one the 8800GTs that have the purple/pink screen of death. I think I just keep getting refurb'd cards from Gigabyte that came in with that same problem. They probably have quite a few laying around since so many people seem to RMA the cards when they have the problem.

cybrnaut

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Hi everyone. Just joind the forums. I ran accross this forum and thought to ask my question here. I'm too having issues with the evga 8800gt card. I just built a pc with the following spec:
CPU: Intel Q9450
MOBO: Giga-byte p45-dsp4 - No O.C., BIOS: F3
Memory : OCZ 4 GB
PSU: 650W
CPU temp: 38 C
System temp: 41 C

Video card: PCI-E EVGA E-Force 8800 GT

As soon as I install the Video drivers from evga, the system freezes and I have to reboot to safe mode and remove the driver.

I've tried reinstalling the OS, installing/removing service packs, a few other things and still the same thing. I can use just a regulart PCI video card with no problem.

Has anyone seen this? I'm about to go get a les expensive PCI-E card and try it out.

Thanks for your help.

Go here http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us download the latest driver and see if it works better than the EVGA one.