Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello.
I just built my computer and checked to BIOS to see what the running temperature was.

What is a safe temperature for a Intel Quad Core Q9550?
Right now I'm at a constant 70-73.

halcyon

Splendid
That's a bit high for idle temps and about as high as you'd want to see it go under full stress testing, even with the stock Intel cooler (which is fine for a non-overclocked processor but you'd want something better for overclocking).

If you are using the stock Intel HSF check to verify that everything is copacetic with the installation and that all the push-pins are fully seated. However, if you have to fiddle with it at all you'll want to pull it off and clean off the thermal compound properly and re-install it, properly, with completely fresh thermal compound.

...and if you're going to do that you may as well spend ~$30 on a decent HSF, such as a Xigmatek S-1283

Yeah, this is a tall recommendation without knowing the particulars of your scenario but your issue is rather common amongst the forum and the prescription is typically the same.

HTH, cheers.

Brad

G

Hmm.
Thanks.
I don't know, when I put in all the push-pins, two went in fine but the other two wouldn't get pushed in.

Why is this?

halcyon

Splendid
Hmm.
Thanks.
I don't know, when I put in all the push-pins, two went in fine but the other two wouldn't get pushed in.

Why is this?

...and therein lies the problem. Your exsiting HSF is not making full contact with CPU's heat-spreader. Do yourself a favor, if you can, and consider something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

No, it's not free but it will offer very good performance and a secure installation.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I would expect your idle temps to be right around 50C. Go with Halcyon's idea...a good heatsink is nice to have to get temps within their expected range. I would suggest staying away from the heatsinks that use the push-pin method of securing them to the mobo. Some heatsinks, like the Xigmatek S-1283 have push-pins, but also have an option to buy the mounting bracket for the back side of your motherboard. Make sure you have room in your case for it though, it is a very tall unit.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I would say replace your thermal paste. If that doesn't lower your idle temps, I would get a new HSF and maybe add some fans to your case. I got the Xigmatek HDT-S1283, a new intake fan, some artic silver 5, and the retention bracket for the Xigmatek. It only cost about $50 and it lowered my idle CPU Temperature by 53C (80C -> 27C). My CPU is the Q6600.

darksied

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
see it is things like this that gets me worried, i have a new Q9550 sitting behind waiting for tomorrow to be installed. also, problems follow me when i mess about with these things.

recently redid my thermal paste and then put the cpu fan on the wrong way round and couldn't understand why my temp were ~5C too high.

well i can always buy a new one, my AMD one has been a champ the last couple of years.

Ya, I found quad cores to produce a lot of heat. I wouldn't install it until I got an after market heat sink and some AS5 (if I had to do it again). However, I think if you just take your time, you can figure it out. It took me quite a while to solve my heat issues, but now I'm glad that I did.

I upgraded from a Pentium D -> Quad Core. The difference is amazing it was definatally worth it.

halcyon

Splendid
StrangeStranger is a genius and knows it, he's being humble...but if he's having a weak moment we've got your back.

No matter what I do and what HSF's I spend money on and what TIM I use I cannot get my Q9450 idle temps lower than ~46C at idle, even when I have it underclocked to 1.6Ghz. ...but its been a solid processor and has delivered on its promise of providing exceptional performance. ...and your Q9550 is faster at stock yet...so enjoy. If you do need to buy an aftermarket HSF it'll give you some overclocking headroom that you may, one day, find quite useful.

So...Cheers.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Really? Is that a core temp or tcase temp of 46C with the stock fan?

My Q6600 is idle at 2.4ghz (400x6) and my idle temps are 28-35C (edit* Tcase) depending on the ambient temp with a ZeroTherm NV 120. (1900 rpm)

halcyon

Splendid
Its a Core Temp, and I'm getting that with a TjMax value of 95C from both Everest and RealTemp. So, if that TjMax estimate is good it could be that I'm an idiot and just can't install a HSF properly. My ambient temps are about 24C.

I've used a Xigmatek S-1283, a lapped TRUE, and now a OCZ Vendetta2 with OCZ Freeze TIM.

If the chip dies/fries I'll just get something else, but the processor is not in any danger so I've no excuse to spend more $$, oh well.

Anyways, back to the OP...who needs to either re-install his HSF or get something new that's decent....

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I wouldn't trust idle temps for the cores. But thats just me, and what the message says when you use realtemps test sensors.

Also since I've switched MB with the exact same CPU, I was using tjmax of 95C on my P6N (NV650i) which seem to be the right setting, and now on my DFI (P35) MB I have to use the 100C tjmax. If I use the 95C tjmax, my core temps are lower then my tcase. So that is one reason why I don't even trust core temp readings anymore.

The tcase works fine for me, and its easier to take a quick glance at it, when I know I need to keep it below 71C. :D

But each to their own.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh.. Just saying what the highest I've seen so far on my Q6600. That 64C was on my P6N when it was working.

61C is actually the highest I've seen on this new DFI MB.

But ya, the main 2 keys are cool air (70-78F) and good airflow. Last night, it did get cold, but the ambient temp near my case was around 75F:

ambient75F.jpg

So to me, it really doesn't have exactly how good the HSF is, but how much cool air you can give it. Other then that, its only going to do what it can.

G

Well, I tweaked the thermal glop a bit and now I'm at around 53-57 idle.
Is that acceptible for a Quad Core? Will it overheat when I play Crysis or something? I'm not planning to OC.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Is that cores or tcase?

See thats just it, if people would go by the tcase, it would make things more simple. All ya need to know is the thermal spec from Intel, which would be, 71.4C, and to keep it below that would just be simpler to remember.

As far as core temp on idle.. blah.

G

How do you find the tcase?
All I'm using is the BIOS temp monitor.
My hard drive didn't arrive yet =(
Is 65-66 idle safe to run or should I tweak with the grease?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
That would be the tcase sensor, which the bios uses.

So that is abit high 65C.

I can tell you its not the grease, but rather one of the 4 pins you push in that isn't secure. That is if your using the stock HSF.

It should be around 30-36C. 36-40C if your ambient temp is warm (80F+). since its in the high 50 to 60s, its more of a HSF installation problem.

G

Thanks a lot.
I've just adjusted the pins and added a bit more grease to the actual chip.
I'm still at 54 C.
What else could be the problem?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You shouldn't need to add more.

My advice:

1) shut the system down.

2) take the HSF off

3) clean off the top of the CPU and bottom of the HSF

4) Rotate the black handle the opposite of the arrow, ensuring the black pin is out of the white clamp on all 4 pins.

5) Reapply the thermal grease only on the CPU according to the instructions. Only a dab (size bb), then spread out on the IHS evenly is all it should take.

6) when placing the HSF on the CPU, make sure the white camps go all the way through the holes.

7) keep a some pressure (enough but not to bend the MB) on the center fan, and pushing down on the pin that gave you the most trouble first.

8) power up and hope its in the 30-40C.

Edit:

When you've tried that, can you also tell us what the vcore is at? It shouldn't exceed 1.3625V, but it can be well below that.

G

Well, now it boots at 45C, and the Vcore is the cpu Core I'm guessing?
It's 1.12 V

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Sounds allot better, I'd say 45C is allot better then what you were at. Perhaps the airflow is not quite adequate enough for the 30's.

Other then that, I'd say its okay now. You just need to get the rest of the system put together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS