Extreme Gaming Motherboard advise please

shacster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a new PC and thought I would like to try to build my own for a change. I am looking at building an extreme gaming machine and was wondering if someone could confirm what is currently the best motherboard. I have already been advised by a friend of mine that the Intel D5400XS will probably fit the bill with 2 X QX9775 processors. Would this be the best choice at the moment or is there something better out there?

Thanks

...Prepare to be flamed, as you are going to be throwing lots of $$ around for that setup with almost no increase in performance. You'd by buying 8 cores clocked at 3.2 GHz, when a far cheaper 8 core setup (i7) will be avaliable in two or three months.

If you have an unlimited budget and want an "Extreme" gaming machine, the D6500XS AKA Skulltrail is the best you can get. Be prepared to spend a ton of cash on it, though. The motherboard alone will cost you $630 and each CPU will cost you $1550 plus you will have to use expensive FBDIMM memory.

If you are looking for an extreme gaming rig without spending that much $$, look into an Intel X48 based Mb with a Q9650 and a pair of 4870x2's. It will give you pretty convincing performance less than half the cost.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Agreed. You'd be throwing money at something that has negligible benefits. Wait for Nehalem or get a respectable rig now (X48/4870 w/ a good Quad Core).

shacster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Thank you very much for your advise, that is exactly why I came to the forum (not to be flamed :p ) but to get some more experienced users advise. I'm happy to spend the money on a future proofed piece of kit, but by the sounds of it and from everyones response, I'd be better off waiting for Nehalem, so that is what I shall do.

Many thanks