Sign in with
Your question

PII 940 OC Log

Last response: in Overclocking
July 16, 2009 5:40:42 AM

I started this thread really to answer another OPs question about how well a Phenom II 940 Overclocks in comparison to a PII 550. Well I thought about it and it was just a click away. MY first remarks were for a previous 3DMARK Vantage score. This score was lacking in just the fact that it was using a GTX 280 and its synthetics were way to high.

PII940 @ 3.4Ghz Thermal Take Spin-Q cooled
GA-MA790x-UD4P Motherboard
4 Gigs DDR2 XMS2 Extreme 800
GTX 280 @ 666 MHZ
A-Power 850W Power Supply

I went on to install a fresh copy of Vista X64 (my other install was all cracked up.) Since the time of the original bench with the GTX 280 I have upgraded to a Diamond ATI Radeon HD4870x2. Its OCed clocks are 800Mhz core and 955Mhz RAM.

So the following tests will be done @ 3.4, 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 Ghz On the cpu and stock clocks on the Graphics card. I am fairly certain I can obtain certain I can obtain 3.8 on Air.

My PII Runs at 3.4 most of the time and so I left it there and ran a bench With Vantage. To run stable here all that is required is raising the Multiplier to a 17x and leaving the HT ref. clock at 200, this attains the 3400Mhz . I also raise the cpu core voltage to 1.375 at this point, and upped the HT to 2000 Mhz. Other than that nothing else has changed from stock.

After seeing these results I imediately I OCed to 3.6Ghz. I Raised the Multiplier to 18x and upped the voltage to 1.40v. I had stability issues With HT at 2000Mhz so dropped it to 1800Mhz and ran the next bench.

Next I Raised to the Clocks again this time to 3.8Ghz by only raising Multi to 19x. This caused severe problems and it would not bench..... BSOD!
So I lowered it to an 18.5x Multi and raised corev to 1.4125v, BSOD. Thought about it for a moment and "OH YEAH" I forgot that it doesnt like 1800mhz HT at this clock it must have 2000Mhz HT to be stable. I also wanted to try stock diamond speeds on the HD 4870x2. It worked! I benched here.

Thats all for tonight people! Ill do some more tomorrow!

More about : pii 940 log

July 16, 2009 4:24:08 PM

I understand that and I have read this myself. I have in the past ran my 940 @ 3.9 stable on air. At that time I was using different ram and a diffrent cooler. As for the above statement being true for all PII 940 nprocessors, it is not. Some will clock higher stably. This is a test of mine not Toms. Also, to me this is a good test of the Radeon HD 4870x2 With the PII 940.
July 17, 2009 12:51:58 PM

how the hell did u get a 40000 cpu score with ur pII 940????

i oced mine to 3.45 and got 11750 for cpu!!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 17, 2009 4:26:41 PM

Well, as for the 39000+ score.................. That was a score accelerated by the GTX 280 I previously had. The Cuda/Physx is the culprit there. This is the synthetic score that was "Way to high".

I found the max bench on air last night on ths setup with the Thermal Take Spin-Q. I ran Prime 95 for an hour and 5 min and at that mark I got a BSOD. I lowered HT and NB back to 1800mhz and upped the volts on the CPU to 1.456. I ran another instance of Prime95, it passed all night at this OC.

At this point I have Lapped My 940 becuase it was not flat at all. It had a crown in center, Low valley all the way around the crown and high edges.

Previous temps before the lapping.

Oh no! My Temp sensors quit working in windows. I gotta figure this one out. It works in bios but in windows it doesnt. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Here we go again!
July 18, 2009 3:52:16 AM

yeah i figured that later!!! any ways nice oc i personally dont like feeding higher volts but just for checking i hit 3.66 highest stable with descent temps could go higher but temps would be like crazy!
July 18, 2009 4:58:04 AM

Stability becomes a big issue when not overvolted at 3.5 and above on my system. I wish I were able to get these clocks on stock volts but, alas it will not work.
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2009 8:47:34 PM

xtc28, are you using vista or windows 7? and is it 32 or 64 bit?
in windows 7 64 my score for the first CPU test is high but for the second test it's low...(in Vantage)
yours is high in both...I think the OS could possibly impact this...any thoughts? I'll post the screen shots later...
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2009 9:31:22 PM

This is what I mean...compare your results to mine...
The graphics are on stock (4850)
CPU is overclocked to 3.4Ghz
On Windows 7 64 bit

Any thoughts? maybe I need to reinstall windows, maybe I'll try vista too...
July 19, 2009 2:07:20 AM

Right now these scores are all in Vista 64. Tonight I am installing Xp 32 and 64, Vista 32, Win7 32 and 64. I will try to bench with 3DMARK06, Vantage, and Everest in all OSes tonight, but Im really not sure if I can get them done all tonight. Like you I am very curiuos as to how the operating system affects the scores. As far As I know you are using an unlocked 550 x4 your CPU scores are pretty darn good for this fact. The last Bench was done at over 3.7 Ghz. I was not happy with my scores for this clock. Yours also beats mine in 06 on the cpu from 3 ghz to 3.4 Ghz. I think you got a hell of a deal on that 550.
July 19, 2009 2:15:52 AM

why is your score so low

what preset are you running?

i have the same motherboard as you i'm at 1.424 volts

with a oc of 3.6ghz on my p2 x940 i got 15762 vantage score

and a gtx275 oced to 735..

here is my score http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1191222

EDIT: oh your using a 4870x2
July 19, 2009 2:53:53 AM

^ Yes I am It doesnt enhance my cpu score with physx/Cuda. These are raw scores not synthetics.
July 19, 2009 3:04:48 AM

Well I got it to display temp again. That is until I benched once. Came back and it was gone...... Oh no I think Ive burnt out the temp sensor.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:06:30 AM

very nice........
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:14:02 AM

try a run of a 1m calculation on superpi

im interested about ur score.
July 19, 2009 3:14:50 AM

Yes I forgot to say this was with it Lapped and finished with 2000 GRIT sandpaper. I took about 4.5 hours out of mt night on thurs to do it. It was a pain, but worth it. Im not too worried about the temp sensor issue because inside of bios I can see it running at 24C @ Idle it displayed 27 and stopped working @ 41C, according to OCCT. Now in AOD it shows -237C WOW I wish! Before thelapping I was able to load @ 62C max with My highest clocks. NOW Ill never know...lol.
July 19, 2009 3:16:02 AM

Glad to see you back Overshocked.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:20:06 AM

overshocked said:
try a run of a 1m calculation on superpi

im interested about ur score.

What temps are you gettin on your E8500? I have seen 4.9 on water but not on air....
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:39:47 AM

xtc28 said:
Yes I forgot to say this was with it Lapped and finished with 2000 GRIT sandpaper. I took about 4.5 hours out of mt night on thurs to do it. It was a pain, but worth it. Im not too worried about the temp sensor issue because inside of bios I can see it running at 24C @ Idle it displayed 27 and stopped working @ 41C, according to OCCT. Now in AOD it shows -237C WOW I wish! Before thelapping I was able to load @ 62C max with My highest clocks. NOW Ill never know...lol.

Nice lapping... after you lapp it is a good idea to do one last run with toothpast... yes toothpaste, because it will give it that last nice shine :na: 

xtc28 said:
Glad to see you back Overshocked.

LOL thx, i finally got everything figured out with ryan... im never gunna post a cracked cd-key again :pfff:  :non:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:43:48 AM

OvrClkr said:
What temps are you gettin on your E8500? I have seen 4.9 on water but not on air....

Ha... that was a short bench session. Temps got extremely high upwards of 70c because i had to use 1.8v.

But like i said before im working on a phase change right now so... i hope i can look forward to over 5Ghz :ouch: 
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:48:14 AM

Or, maybe i can reach over 5ghz with this heatsink im making.

I'm using a grill for a phase change and im going to cap the end of the pipes...so in the end it will look like a massive heatsink that has 20 heatpipes where as they normally have 4. LOL this will be great...

Here are some pics

July 19, 2009 3:50:22 AM

I wouldnt post any if it were me. Especially after the last flop.
Anyhow ill post up some superpi scores later.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:52:48 AM

That looks like a car radiator!!!!!! lmao!!!

How you gonna hide that? lol?
July 19, 2009 3:53:52 AM

Wow how interesting keep k=me posted on that one
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:56:25 AM

OvrClkr said:
That looks like a car radiator!!!!!! lmao!!!

How you gonna hide that? lol?

LOL its the evaporator for an ac unit, i didnt need it for my phase change so i thought

what the hell, lets make a kick ass heatsink!

I'm not really going to hide it because im only going to use it for a short bench session to get above 5 Ghz on air.

Because the reccord is sunthin like 5.13 so im pretty close!
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 3:58:02 AM

xtc28 said:
Wow how interesting keep k=me posted on that one

Yeah, i will.

as long as we can keep this thread allive ill keep posting pics of the progress on my phase change and my heatsink from hell!!
July 19, 2009 4:02:02 AM

You should fill the tubes 1/4 full with methanol or ethanol, so as it boils and evaporates it flows to the top, giving better heat transfer and temps.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:02:45 AM

Yea I want to see 5.1Ghz using that heatsink from hell !!!!!

July 19, 2009 4:04:10 AM

Agreed........ That thing is nuts.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:16:15 AM

xtc28 said:
You should fill the tubes 1/4 full with methanol or ethanol, so as it boils and evaporates it flows to the top, giving better heat transfer and temps.

im way ahead of you. i was going to fill the tubes with eather because its boiling point is like 35c wich is perfect for a cpu.

My last plan looked like this

But i am going to change it a little

So now it will have like 20 heatpipes and they will each have there own individual tube rather than all of the tubes looped together like in my original design

It will look sunthin like this except with a shitload more heatpipes, i just got lazy and didnt feel like drawing them

But in the new design each heatpipe will be indivual of the others. :ouch: 

and it will have liquid in it of course
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:16:47 AM

xtc28 said:

I don't know what the problem is, but AOD shows -237C on mine too...maybe it's because the cores are unlocked...I haven't really tried other temp utilities other than the one from my motherboard disk
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:18:35 AM

OvrClkr said:
Yea I want to see 5.1Ghz using that heatsink from hell !!!!!

Oh, and you shall... ;) 

MUAHHAHAHHA :bounce: 
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:22:05 AM

xtc28 said:
Agreed........ That thing is nuts.

Yeah, id really like to get started working on it but the problem is...

where do i get big hollow copper blocks like that???

I might just end up using a series of copper endcaps that fit in side of eachother... But the problem with that is that i wont have enough room to mount 20 heatpipes!?!?

Any suggestions to use for the block?
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:22:39 AM

Have you ever water cooled your E8500?
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:26:02 AM

OvrClkr said:
Have you ever water cooled your E8500?

BAGH... i hate water cooling.

Ive only used the LCLC to cool it but i havnt done a full loop like alot of people do.

Why would i when a decent setup would cost me as much as a phase change?? [:jaydeejohn:4]
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:27:44 AM

Overshocked, that is going to be on heck of a heatsink...I think you will be able to hit higher than 5.1...good luck...
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:28:17 AM

Yea you got a point there.....
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:28:47 AM

Any suggestions to use for the block of this puppy?

I would probably need something tall so i can fit 20 pipes on it LOL
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:29:54 AM

videl said:
Overshocked, that is going to be on heck of a heatsink...I think you will be able to hit higher than 5.1...good luck...

I hope i can hit over 5.1 so i can beat the reccord for air cooling!

Thx for the good luck, ill need it
July 19, 2009 4:30:41 AM

Ive tried a ton of programs none have correct temps all others besides AOD have said "0?!" Just like that.

You said you had the same problem and I thought to myself Wait he has ACC turned on for porposes of unlocking cores then I thought wait its the same temp. HMMMMMM........ lets see if it s turned on by defualt (Ive never checked this board) ................. WOW! Its is on and Turning it off gives me my temps back. WOW interesting.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:31:17 AM

OvrClkr said:
Yea you got a point there.....

Yeah, so far the phase change that im building has cost me about $315 :na: 

And that is about how much a nice watercooling setup costs :heink: 
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:34:43 AM

You may be able to thread the inside if the copper tubing and put a couple of brass reducers in-line. If you go that route you will need some kind of teflon thread sealer for air or hydraulic fittings a paste or tape should do the trick.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:36:48 AM

unclefester said:
You may be able to thread the inside if the copper tubing and put a couple of brass reducers in-line. If you go that route you will need some kind of teflon tread sealer for air or hydraulic fittings a paste or tape should do the trick.

Dude, i will weld it... i dont nead reducers

What part of it were you reffering to anyway?
July 19, 2009 4:37:58 AM

overshocked said:
Any suggestions to use for the block of this puppy?

I would probably need something tall so i can fit 20 pipes on it LOL

You make it or have it made. it needs to be hollow so you can fill it with your liquid. You know I like this Idea more and more as I think about it. This would be the perfect way to cool my Cluster desk.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:40:56 AM

In your early post you were talking of sliding one pipe inside another. Welding will work, but you will need to pressure check it.
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:49:20 AM

unclefester said:
In your early post you were talking of sliding one pipe inside another. Welding will work, but you will need to pressure check it.

I was refering to mounting one of these on the cpu

And then have all the heatpipes coming out the sides of it

but i wouldnt have enough room to mount all 20 heatpipes
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 4:51:29 AM

xtc28 said:
You make it or have it made. it needs to be hollow so you can fill it with your liquid. You know I like this Idea more and more as I think about it. This would be the perfect way to cool my Cluster desk.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

KICK ASS RIGS man

I would go for phase change to cool that (=
July 19, 2009 4:51:55 AM

then do ten on the block to twentyon the rad input with splitters
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 5:00:07 AM

Here is some pics of the phase change that im building :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 

A pic of the compressor and the schrader valve

The top shrader valve...

Bottom of the system

a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 5:03:08 AM

WOW...Your gonna break the world record for biggest heatsink/fan...
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2009 5:04:42 AM

xtc28 said:
Ive tried a ton of programs none have correct temps all others besides AOD have said "0?!" Just like that.

You said you had the same problem and I thought to myself Wait he has ACC turned on for porposes of unlocking cores then I thought wait its the same temp. HMMMMMM........ lets see if it s turned on by defualt (Ive never checked this board) ................. WOW! Its is on and Turning it off gives me my temps back. WOW interesting.

Hmm...I never checked the temp when the cores were locked...but I should...and I'm gonna...
    • 1 / 10
    • More pages
    • Next
    • Newest
!