Your question

the price wars between Nvidia and ATi have me gun shy

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2008 11:29:41 AM

Hi im currently making a a new computer build for the upcoming Diablo 3 game. I saw that coming out and thought its a good time to do so since my motherboard just blew on my other comp and some of the components were 7 years old. I was all set to buy myself a ATi radeon 4850 this week until i started reading and actually seeing whats happening to the prices of some really nice video cards. The market prices seem to be in a free fall. So now my thought is to make my build minus the 4850 and just put in a video card that will get me by until D3 comes out. I will only be playing from this list of games. Diablo 2, Starcraft, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2,Warcraft 1 2 and 3. My old old card a Nvidia 6800 handled all of these just fine.
So if i hold out and get a real cheap video card for now just to play those games mentioned does that make sense to you guys or not? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Oh and maybe some opinions on which low end card to go with for now if thats the way to go for me.

More about : price wars nvidia ati gun shy

July 26, 2008 12:42:05 PM

smart move
Diablo 3 wont come out at least for another year

if your old comp is dying and you really need a new comp
you might consider keeping your 6800
since that card is more than enough for the games you stated above

my last comp had a 5600FX nVidia
and it ran those games fine too

so if you wait a year until d3 come out
with the same price as HD4850 now (around $200)

you might get a GTX 360
or HD4950
or maybe even better
who knows

but if your current video card is also dying on your
and you absolutely have to get a new card
i would suggest you just go for the HD4850 for $200
since that is the best value so far
you could also get a 9600GT for $99
but HD4850 is a better choice IMO
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 26, 2008 1:25:18 PM

yep, the 4850 isnt that expensive...if ur going to be shelling out $100 for a low-end card, u might as well spend a few more $ and get the 4850.

besides, there will always be something better coming out in a few months, no matter how much u wait . if u wait for "the next big thing" u'll be waiting forever. the only exception i can think of is the nvidia 8800 series, but that kind of thing is rare (plus it never really became cheap until it was outclassed).

also, y do u want to wait for a more powerful card when all u do is play outdated (altho great) games?
July 26, 2008 1:27:28 PM

i think the 4850 would be good personally. its pretty cheap after rebates and all, and should play diablo3 and sc2 good when they come out. thats probably your best bet for now, i mean there has never been a card that performs as well as the 4850 for its price. prices will always drop with time so you cant feel to bad. i mean lol, i got my 8800gt for $280 when i built my comp and i felt good about the price.
July 26, 2008 1:31:42 PM

asymetriccircle said:
i think the 4850 would be good personally. its pretty cheap after rebates and all, and should play diablo3 and sc2 good when they come out. thats probably your best bet for now, i mean there has never been a card that performs as well as the 4850 for its price. prices will always drop with time so you cant feel to bad. i mean lol, i got my 8800gt for $280 when i built my comp and i felt good about the price.

lol, I bought 2 of them for that price and now I can't get $100 for them and their still great cards.
July 26, 2008 7:33:16 PM

Oh Diesel im not waiting for anything more powerful to come out. I know i dont need that. Im just intrested in how far these prices are gonna drop. Looks like i have a year or so to make my choice. In a year thier will be bigger badder cards out there yes but the 4850 will still look great to me and will probably be under $100 by then. So ill be able to go crossfire for under $200 if it goes that way and that'll be sweet.
I do still need to get a graphics card for now though becauce my old card was a APG and im now gonna be going PCIe. So if anyone knows of a card for lets say $70 or under that will run the games i mentioned thats what i think id be in the market for for now.
Thanks for the posts so far appreciate it.
July 26, 2008 8:11:59 PM

an another year, hd 4000 series will go the way of the hd 2000 series
July 26, 2008 8:23:16 PM

Definetly the 4850. Its a great investment for now and later. And with Diablo 3 you are really gonna need to upgrade from that 6800 as D3 is using Havok physics HEAVILY, as well as very detailed textures in general. And since Blizzard and AMD/ATI have a partnership now youre gonna see great Crossfire support and Havok support with Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and Blizzards new MMO thats in development that is using "next gen" graphics instead of the boxy art that Wow uses.

At sub $150 you might as well snag the 4850 now dude. You have nothing to lose and massive performance to gain from that 6800. I dont think you are gonna be shooting yourself if the card drops in price by $30 8 months from now.
July 26, 2008 8:36:08 PM

Thats true Spath $30 wont kill me. It looks like a great card. Ive been reading in forums and and looking at reviews/prices and the 4850 is the winner time and time again. And ive always had Nvidia so im not a fanboy of Ati by any means. I just like the best card for the money ratio. Heres my only thing though. I wont need this card for a year. If i wait im saving a year of life on that card. Does it make sense to wait or if the card goes bad are they under good warrenties?
July 26, 2008 8:42:29 PM

VisionTek has a lifetime warranty, and ASUS has 3 years I think.
!