Sign in with
Your question

Bought a D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router - Need advice

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 5, 2009 6:54:44 PM

Hi,

I bought a D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Wireless Router, and would really appreciate some advice. To explain, I have one computer that is wired to the router, and I have three or four laptops in the house, all with built-in wireless (G). The wired desktop is a gaming PC, so I think I'd like to have one channel for that, and another for all other traffic. Would you all recommend buying new wireless-n adapters? If so, would you recommend USB adapters or wireless network card adapters? Should I buy only D-Link, since that's what my router is? Will I get better reception/speed without buying them? Right now, performance can be bad, and reception is worse.

Finally, can someone please recommend a tool I can use to do some sort of baseline testing on network performance, so that I can run it before and after installing the router? I'm installing it later tonight, so hoping someone might be able to give me some ideas. :) 

Thanks so much!
Steve
October 30, 2009 2:53:35 PM

Get "D-Link N" devices, different manufacturers don't always play nice together.

Setup router to only talk to "N" on 40mhz, this will give you best performance and range.

Channels are not used for wired connections.
!