First-time New Build but Won't Boot! Help!

austinman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello everyone!,

So a few days ago I received my new system components from newegg all new, mid-range stuff. All except for my case, DVD drive, and sound card which are older parts. Here's my new build/rig;

AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5Ghz
MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
Antec True Power 850W PSU
Vision tech HD 3870X2 Graphics Card
2x2gig Corsair Dominator 1066mhz RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card
Coolermaster Centurion 5 ATX case

Now, I checked again and again to see if every thing was hooked up properly and that all the parts were in the right spots, but when attempting to start the system I received no video signal to my hanns G monitor. Also there was a red, flashing light on top of the video card and the fan would rev on and off, i dont think thats normal but i dont think anything is wrong with the connections. All the other fans and lights seemed to be just fine. I'm not the greatest at solving computer problems especially on new system builds.

Is everything up there compatible with each other or do I need to update the bios/ drivers somehow? I dont know how to check it either. I've heard of these video card problems before and i know it can be fixed. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Also there was a red, flashing light on top of the video card and the fan would rev on and off, The red light is normal, the fan sould rev up then down but not off

kaiser24

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
In just building my system, I've had a problem with a red light on top of one of my gtx 280's. I found out this problem is a lack of power to the card itself, so I fiddled around with the power connectors to the card until I got it to work.

**I would suggest not using the power converters that come with the card, but rather using a direct connection from the power supply.

~I'm not familiar with ATI cards, so sorry for the minute amount of help I can provide to you. Best of Luck.

austinman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
it does that continuously and the screen does nothing for as lond as i wait.

how may i perform a format of my hard disk at this time?

I also want to reinstall windows, you know, get a fresh start.

I may still have old nvidia drivers on the hard disk, but i dont know how to uninstall them/ format th disk completely.

More help is appreciated!!!! http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/biggrin.gif
:D

austinman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
As for the power issue I do have the 8 and 6 pin connectors directly coming from the power supply unit. They look undamaged and snug in place.

I only have some old nvidia cards cards that might not work with the motherboard, i dont know.

austinman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
come on guys i need some advice here, I'm confused as to what needs to be done to get my system up and running...

Is there a conflict with drivers or something?

fleakiller

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

what kind of cards do you have?

austinman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I found out that the problem wasn't the video card or motherboard at all, I had a bad stick of RAM in there. Of course I didn't expect the video card to react so strangely to bad memory, but oh well.

I took the stick out, and out of sheer luck the system started up and was fine. Later i swithched the sticks to test this and sure enough the same problems occured.

Thanks for your time and info guys!!!!