First try at overclocking

bananaboy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I'm going to attempt my first overclock, mainly for ARMA 2.

My specs are:
Antec earthwatts 500W
OCZ 4gb DDR2 memory
C2D e7300 (Stock cooling)
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

My bios version is F4. (Is there an update I should get?)

Untitled.jpg

I found this link:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=12853977
I'm planning I should copy what he did since hes on stock cooling.

I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to achieve this. What exactly do I put in the bios? I'm going for 3.3 Ghz. I have no idea what I have to change besides the FSB.

Thanks for the help.

festerovic

Distinguished
Oh yeah, you will need to change the memory speed setting too. You have DDR2800 running right now, to achieve that, you need to switch the divider to 1:1 (it may have a mhz setting instead, try 533mhz or 667mhz)

Your limiting factor will be the stock cooler. You really need better cooling if you are going to overclock.

Now, this will get a little confusing. To run CPU and memory at a 1:1 ration on a Gigabyte board, you need to go into the Intelligent Tweaker section and change the System Memory Multiplier from [AUTO] to [MANUAL]. Then you will see a table of values. Select the first "2.0" that you see. You should see the Memory Frequency change to something around 667 MHz. Now, as you increase the FSB, the memory frequency will track.

Keep your temperatures below 70 C. I set the motherboard temperature alarm to 70 C. in PC Health.